• Register Today It's free!

switch gear bulb replacement?

jcasey007

Reaction score
City, State
Stratford Upon Avon, Warwickshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
Jeep Commander 5.7L HEMI
I've got 2 bulbs not working in the centre consol switchgear (i.e. rear wash wipe switch), local Ford dealer says that they cannot be changed and a new switch is required (which they no longer supply)

any of you resourceful people worked out a way to replace the bulbs in these sealed units?

cheers

Jim

I'm sure if you can get to the bulb in the switch it will be hard wired. Just do a quick search for something similar @ Maplin. If you can't find a small enough bulb then an LED might do the trick though unless you put a resisitor in line to lower the voltage it may be a bit bright.
In fact just done a quick search and found these
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=20727
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?moduleno=25545
The only problem i can see will be can you get to the bulb in the switch and how good are you with a soldering iron?

If you cannot get into the switch then a PM to Chris Quelch on here or a call to Justin @ Explorers UK 07921823310 would furnish you with s/h replacements
Regards

On the second generation explorers the various dashboard switchs, e.g 4x4 switch, rear wiper, rear fog light, etc. have very little bulbs in them. The backs of these are visable and you remove these by turning them with a little screwdriver.

However the only replacement bulb for the switches that Ford UK sells is for the headlight switch. Unless you can source these little bulbs with the base holders from somewhere, essentially you have to replace the switch. Ford UK can supply all the switchs for the second generation explorers at considerable cost.

I might be able to get some switches from over here in Canada and send them over... let me know and i'll price them up..

Si

Back