Sync 3 | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync 3

I was at my ford dealer when a gentleman from ford michigan came to do a demo of the new 2016 ford edge and i askem him why that ford edge still had the my sync on it, he then told me because it's production was in 2015 but all ford produced in 2016 will have the sync3 on them, so yes the early ford explorers and edges will have my sync but from 2016 onward will have sync3

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 2016 Explorer begins product in May I believe. The ones built in 2016 will be near the end of the 2016 model year and the beginning of the 2017 model. Therefore it would seem that only a few of the 2016 models will get SYNC 3, not all of them. This falls in line with what Riley has posted before.

Peter

Hi everyone,

While SYNC 3 is being launched this year, not all 2016 MY vehicles will be getting it. The plan is to have it in all vehicle lines for North America by the end of 2016. We'll release more information at a later date.

Rebecca

Sync 3 was originally going to launch on the '16 Explorer right from the start of production. However, when they went to do the final sign-off on the system it refused to even boot-up. Go figure.

Sync 3 was originally going to launch on the '16 Explorer right from the start of production. However, when they went to do the final sign-off on the system it refused to even boot-up. Go figure.
:eek:

sync 3 was originally going to launch on the '16 explorer right from the start of production. However, when they went to do the final sign-off on the system it refused to even boot-up. Go figure.

omg!

Sync3 to also use Microsoft backend components

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/ford-turns-back-microsoft-build-connected-car-services-130723381--finance.html

By Paul Lienert

DETROIT (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co is turning to one of its early technology partners, Microsoft Corp, to help expand the automaker's connected car services.

Among the features that Ford plans to offer later this year through its new Service Delivery Network is the ability to automatically update its new Sync 3 infotainment system wirelessly. The service will run on Microsoft's cloud-based Azure platform.

Ford's cloud-based service will enable the company to gather more data about how owners use their vehicles, according to Don Butler, executive director of connected vehicle and services.

That data, Butler said, "will increase our ability to understand the user experience inside the vehicle . . . with the informed permission of customers."

Butler said the vehicle data that Ford acquires wirelessly through the cloud could be used to remotely diagnose mechanical problems or alert owners and dealers on scheduled maintenance. It could also provide insurers with information about vehicle usage and owners' driving habits.

Ford two years ago shifted from Microsoft to BlackBerry Ltd's QNX to help it develop the software for Sync 3, after earlier versions of Sync and MyFord Touch, jointly developed with Microsoft, were troubled by technical glitches and widespread consumer complaints. The Sync 3 system, unveiled last December, will begin appearing this fall on some 2016 Ford models.

Ford's cloud network also will enable the company to integrate a broader array of mobile services both inside and away from the vehicle, Butler said.

Where manufacturers in the past received much of their revenue from the sale or lease of vehicles, a rapidly evolving business model that encompasses such services as car sharing and pay-per-use rentals has expanded the definition of mobility, Butler said.

"There will be revenues associated with that," he said, adding that third-party developers "may come up with new ways to leverage the data and create new opportunities to deliver services" to vehicle users. :thumbdwn:

Butler declined to say whether Ford is developing a concierge/communication service similar to General Motors Co's OnStar. But he said Ford's new partnership with Microsoft "positions us to be able to deliver a broad set of connectivity-related services."

Ford is not the first automaker to use the Azure platform. Four years ago, Microsoft and Toyota Motor Corp announced a cloud-services partnership around Azure. And in 2013, a similar deal was struck with Qoros, a unit of China's Chery Automobile Co [CHERY.UL].

(Reporting by Paul Lienert in Detroit; Editing by Cynthia Osterman)

Hi everyone,

The plan is to have it in all vehicle lines for North America by the end of 2016.

End of calendar year 2016, correct? Or is that end of 2016 MY run?

looking at this, thinking about the upgrade option was not offered by Ford, anyone think about used aftermarket product like Pioneer which load both apple carplay and andriod atuo?

looking at this, thinking about the upgrade option was not offered by Ford, anyone think about used aftermarket product like Pioneer which load both apple carplay and andriod atuo?

At the moment this isn't possible for vehicles with MyFord Touch... Due to the heavy integration of climate controls, phone, diagnostics, lighting, etc... There's no aftermarket kits to deal w/ these as of yet.

There is a kit for the regular Sync system (not the touch screen version), but us w/ My Ford Touch are stuck with it for the foreseeable future. I suppose you could do a custom fabrication on the dash to mount a separate unit above or below MFT, then just run the audio through MFT, but this seems very tacky.

Will SYNC3 allow for Apple CarPlay or Google Android Auto integration?

Will SYNC3 allow for Apple CarPlay or Google Android Auto integration?

Ford is listed as an Apple partner for CarPlay (see here). One can probably say its a safe bet carplay will be included with Sync 3 (given that QNX was the first production system with carplay).

If they are going to include carplay, there's also no reason not to assume that android auto won't be available as well. The two can coexist just fine.

Ford is listed as an Apple partner for CarPlay (see here). One can probably say its a safe bet carplay will be included with Sync 3 (given that QNX was the first production system with carplay).

Now THAT would be a reason for me to upgrade. I know a software upgrade won't be possible, but I wonder if we could (probably at considerable expense) buy the Sync 3 module and swap it out for the MFT unit? Dealer would obviously have to program the new unit but at least this would provide a path forward.

BUT first I'll wait until Sync 3 hits the road. There's a lot of interest, and a TON of potential here, but there's also a million ways Ford could screw it up. It could be worse than the current generation. We don't know yet.

And, just an opinion, but so far I like the MFT interface. The corners make it easy to get to the basic 4 operations easily, buttons are big for the most part, I can do most operations with insulated gloves on. Not that it doesn't have plenty of room for improvement.

Now the voice commands, on the other hand, I've given up on those. Can't get anything to work the way I want it to.

... there's also a million ways Ford could screw it up.

And Ford definitely will screw it! one way or another!

... there's also a million ways Ford could screw it up.
QUOTE]

And Ford definitely will screw it! one way or another!

Think Windows 7! Oh wait, Ford dropped Microsoft and partnered with Blackberry for Sync 3. What has Blackberry ever screwed up? Oh wait, their entire product line.

BB was once great, ahead of their time, and maybe they are again, we'll see.

Sorry, working in tech can make a person very cynical about this stuff.

Ford has already screwed it up not allowing existing systems to be upgraded to new one even for an extra charge (at least for now Ford says it).

Ford has already screwed it up not allowing existing systems to be upgraded to new one even for an extra charge (at least for now Ford says it).

Well, they are releasing Sync 3 on new hardware, so any upgrade would have to be a module replacement. It would be nice if they offer it, but...

I'm sure Ford also sees this as a carrot to encourage folks to upgrade their vehicle, and judging by some of the comments here it might work!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We should get a sign page to have group request to ford requesting upgrade option, very silly not even support upgrade for sync 2 to sync 3!

Back