Sync turn by turn Navigation or SD Navigation with MFT? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync turn by turn Navigation or SD Navigation with MFT?

mech

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Motorbike
So Ive ordered a 2013 202a XLT with MFT. I had chosen not to get the SD card navigation, because the sync services turn by turn would be adequate. But im starting to second guess myself. It seems rediculous to buy a 38k dollar vehicle with all the features of MFT, but lack basic mapping capability.

If you elect the sd card navigation option, can you still use the basic sync services turn by turn feature?

How many of you have used this setup and what do you think of it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi mech. We also ordered an XLT w/o nav. My problem is plopping down 700-800 dollars for a nav system when portable systems are soooo much cheaper and frankly easier to update. That said, we have had 3 Fords with Sync now and I use the turn by turn service periodically. Its actually pretty cool and will pause your mp3 or CD while it talks to you. Its a pretty good system and let's you plan your route in the car or ahead of time. I do think the system works better if you set your destination in advance on a computer but that's just me. Most often I use my phone's GPS for nav and it can do turn by turn through the Bluetooth connection. That is actually pretty cool because I've used it, taken a call while en route and when the next direction comes up I can hear it but the people on the phone say they had no idea. I have read mixed reviews of the in dash nav in the Ex so I think it was the right choice for us. We used the money to spring for the tow package instead. My question now is whether I shouldn't have opted for captains chairs in the backseat.....hmmm...oh well. Not going to do anything to delay my order now! Happy motoring! - Toddy

With the sync navigation system dont you lose your turn by turn directions if you are out of cell phone coverage? If it drops out due to weak signal does it pick back up and restore the route when cell coverage returns? Which is more stable satelite or cell hone based nav system like sync?

good question. any have any additional info on the navigation systems?

If you elect the sd card navigation option, can you still use the basic sync services turn by turn feature?

How many of you have used this setup and what do you think of it?[/QUOTE]
Mech,
I have nav and love it. If you pull out the sd card you can use sync turn by turn. When sd card is in sync turn by turn is disabled. The sync feature I like is that you can go to google maps from any computer and then send info to sync. It doesn't work with nav.

We were in Glacier Nat. Park, MT last year and we had no cell phone service but my Magellan worked.
So the cell phone and Ex know where you are but can't communicate that to sync turn by turn? Is that right? Is the cell phone connected to sync for the whole trip or just to download info? I have never used it on a trip so......

I tend to agree with liratoad on this, I had opted not to get the sd nav package but instead use the sync turn-by-turn service. For the most part I use my portable GPS and/or smartphone. But turn-by-turn is also helpful, especially since sometimes it finds places better than my GPS, esp if I send it from google maps.

It uses the phone to download the route, so once the route is downloaded it does not need cell connection. Also, it also uses something like a dial-up connection instead of data of the phone, so even works on phones that do not have a data plan.

Having said that, I have a few times reverted to the operator assist sessions when I have a hard time making the system understand my voice commands.

How many of you have used this setup and what do you think of it?
Mech,
I have nav and love it. If you pull out the sd card you can use sync turn by turn. When sd card is in sync turn by turn is disabled. The sync feature I like is that you can go to google maps from any computer and then send info to sync. It doesn't work with nav.

We were in Glacier Nat. Park, MT last year and we had no cell phone service but my Magellan worked.
So the cell phone and Ex know where you are but can't communicate that to sync turn by turn? Is that right? Is the cell phone connected to sync for the whole trip or just to download info? I have never used it on a trip so......

The google map feature works with the SD navigation as well. I went to a concert a few weeks ago at an arena I've never been too an hour away from my house. I pulled up the address on google maps and sent it to my Explorer. In the car, I just did the voice prompt "services" and the directions were downloaded and the navigation started with the voice prompts and map.

For me personally, I like having both the map and voice prompts versus just turn by turn directions. Portable GPS units are nice and cheaper, but I chose the SD Navigation since I prefer a larger map screen versus the smaller screens the portable units have.

I thought that when you download a map for directions from map quest or google it was forwarded to the navigation system in the car not to sync. I have done this but do not remember any prompt as to where the driving directions went to ,navigation or sync. Are you sure you need to pull the navigation sd card out if you want to use sync for the turn by turn directions?

I thought that when you download a map for directions from map quest or google it was forwarded to the navigation system in the car not to sync. I have done this but do not remember any prompt as to where the driving directions went to ,navigation or sync. Are you sure you need to pull the navigation sd card out if you want to use sync for the turn by turn directions?

I don't understand about pulling the sd card out for turn by turn directions. The sd navigation gives you turn by turn directions and a map. For people that don't have the sd navigation system, it's just voice directions.

I haven't tried Mapquest, but with Google, directions are sent to your Sync account. I imagine Mapquest is the same thing. After you have pulled up the address on Google maps you want directions too, you have to select more on the little address box, then select send. You then choose the send to car option. From there, you select Ford from the pull down list and then type in your phone number to the mobile number associated with your Sync account.

In your vehicle, you just click the voice button and say the prompt "services". Your phone will call Sync services and then I believe a prompt comes up asking if you want to download the address that was sent to the car. After you say yes, it downloads to your car and when it's finished, the phone disconnects with Sync. You now have the voice turn by turn directions and map as well on your navigation screen.

The google map feature works with the SD navigation as well. I went to a concert a few weeks ago at an arena I've never been too an hour away from my house. I pulled up the address on google maps and sent it to my Explorer. In the car, I just did the voice prompt "services" and the directions were downloaded and the navigation started with the voice prompts and map.

For me personally, I like having both the map and voice prompts versus just turn by turn directions. Portable GPS units are nice and cheaper, but I chose the SD Navigation since I prefer a larger map screen versus the smaller screens the portable units have.

boltsfan17,
Thanks. I tried the Google map feature 8-10 months ago and couldn't get it to download to nav. I even pm'd Becky about it. Well just went out to Ex and it works!:D I'm happier that a pig in sh*t! Maybe had something to do with last couple of updates.

I don't understand about pulling the sd card out for turn by turn directions. The sd navigation gives you turn by turn directions and a map. For people that don't have the sd navigation system, it's just voice directions.
I haven't tried Mapquest, but with Google, directions are sent to your Sync account. I imagine Mapquest is the same thing. After you have pulled up the address on Google maps you want directions too, you have to select more on the little address box, then select send. You then choose the send to car option. From there, you select Ford from the pull down list and then type in your phone number to the mobile number associated with your Sync account.

In your vehicle, you just click the voice button and say the prompt "services". Your phone will call Sync services and then I believe a prompt comes up asking if you want to download the address that was sent to the car. After you say yes, it downloads to your car and when it's finished, the phone disconnects with Sync. You now have the voice turn by turn directions and map as well on your navigation screen.

When you push the sd card in, after nav loads, a pop up screen says something like sd card detected, turn by turn nav disabled

Back