• Register Today It's free!

Sync update versioning

tazcubed

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
I have no problem sitting there and doing a system update, however, why is it so difficult to determine which version you have in the vehicle? Why can't Ford simply keep the install version numbers identical as opposed to some stupid internal number once installed? I know my dealership did an update, but unsure which one and don't care to waste time and money bringing it back in for a simple check. I know that my online Sync site isn't up to date with what's installed.

Ford, you can fix this with the next update - period.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have no problem sitting there and doing a system update, however, why is it so difficult to determine which version you have in the vehicle? Why can't Ford simply keep the install version numbers identical as opposed to some stupid internal number once installed? I know my dealership did an update, but unsure which one and don't care to waste time and money bringing it back in for a simple check. I know that my online Sync site isn't up to date with what's installed.

There is nothing to fix. You can simply update the account information yourself. I have had to do it with every update.
It explained how to check if you have the latest version and report what you have installed in your vehicle. It is called the Status Checker Tool.

I do agree that the version should show on the MFT without having to get a translation of the numbers it currently shows.

Peter

Also, a Vehicle Health Check updates Sync

Also, a Vehicle Health Check updates Sync
It would if you didn't live in Canada. The member lives in Toronto. We don't have the VHR here.

Peter

It would if you didn't live in Canada. The member lives in Toronto. We don't have the VHR here.

Peter

Peter- Just curious why Ford doesn't offer the VHR in Canada?

tinner

Peter- Just curious why Ford doesn't offer the VHR in Canada?

tinner
I'm not really sure why that is. SYNC Services is not available here either. I've read on other sites that perhaps it is because they are not available in French as well. Not sure if that is the reason though.

Peter

Go to Settings>Help>System Information,

Under "CCPU S/W Version" if it is "4.30.13171_PRODUCT", then you have the latest "V3.6.2" (usually referred to as V3.6 only). Anything other (lower), means you have an older version.

If your dealer did the update you have the most recent version.

Ford has not given any explanation as of why VHR and 911 does not works outside the lower 48. Canada surprises me. They should make a note somewhere as of why the services are not provided not only in Canada and other regions like USVI/PR where satellite coverage for GPS and 911 services are available.
In addition I must add that Ford equipped cars with Sirius modules specify that they do not work in Hawaii and Alaska (if not mistaken)

Canada surprises me.
Not me. Canada has laws requiring bilingual communication (French / English) on products, labeling, etc. As I understand it, Ford does not have their systems set to support this (VHR, etc), therefore they are turned off. Google Ford Sync Canada. It saw it a few times listed in the results.

Ford has not given any explanation as of why VHR and 911 does not works outside the lower 48. Canada surprises me. They should make a note somewhere as of why the services are not provided not only in Canada and other regions like USVI/PR where satellite coverage for GPS and 911 services are available.
In addition I must add that Ford equipped cars with Sirius modules specify that they do not work in Hawaii and Alaska (if not mistaken)
I believe the 911 works here in Canada but just isn't able to provide the GPS coordinates.

Peter

Hey, everyone!

SYNC Services and Vehicle Health Report are U.S. only services; therefore, they're not currently available elsewhere. 911 Assist is available in the U.S. and Canada. If the 911 operator chooses to pull your GPS coordinates and all systems are a go (meaning they haven't been damaged in the accident), they should be sent to 911. Here's a link for more info if you'd like to take a look:

http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/911-assist-overview-sync-myford-touch

For our customers in Canada and Mexico, we do have a SYNC Version Checker that is located in our SYNC account. If you're logged in, you can click this link and it'll take you to the download page for this tool:

http://support.ford.com/tools/account/update-center?step=prepare-vc

As always, let me know if you have any questions.

The software version in your vehicle is meant to be used by your dealership, engineering, etc. Your SYNC account (as long as it's kept updated) should be where you are going to view which version you have installed.

Rebecca

The software version in your vehicle is meant to be used by your dealership, engineering, etc. Your SYNC account (as long as it's kept updated) should be where you are going to view which version you have installed.

Rebecca

Not that you have anything to do with it, but you realize how silly that sounds right? There is a screen dedicated to system information that is user accessible, and instead of showing the marketed version number, it shows only an engineering build number. It would be intuitive to show both (actually it is only intuitive to show the marketed version, since engineering can get the build number from the diagnostics menus if they needed it)

Sync/MFT .. the only software ever written where you have to run a utility on the installed machine, and then take it to another computer where the software isn't installed to find the version number :)

Hey, everyone!

SYNC Services and Vehicle Health Report are U.S. only services; therefore, they're not currently available elsewhere. 911 Assist is available in the U.S. and Canada. If the 911 operator chooses to pull your GPS coordinates and all systems are a go (meaning they haven't been damaged in the accident), they should be sent to 911. Here's a link for more info if you'd like to take a look:

http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/911-assist-overview-sync-myford-touch

For our customers in Canada and Mexico, we do have a SYNC Version Checker that is located in our SYNC account. If you're logged in, you can click this link and it'll take you to the download page for this tool:

http://support.ford.com/tools/account/update-center?step=prepare-vc

As always, let me know if you have any questions.

Rebecca

Sorry but in my book that is not an answer. There should be an explanation as of why those services are not available outside the lower 48.

Bobby

Sorry but in my book that is not an answer. There should be an explanation as of why those services are not available outside the lower 48.

Bobby
Technically it is an answer. There is a difference between an answer and an explanation. An explanation it is not.
I also would like to know why, but I'm not losing any sleep over it. It is what it is.

Peter

There are obvious differences between model years that I am not sure I understand unless the unit was upgraded beyond some of the power changes that I have read. I test drove an XLT with the upgraded system in it and it had 3 preset surround options to choose from, Driver, Front and Rear. My 2011 Limited has none of that. I also don't have the adjusting backup guides that I see on the 12 models. I wonder if that is part of a future release for older models or just something that was developed along the way into the newer models...

Also I have to agree that not providing version but some code that tells someone else that seems a little odd. I'd like to know if I have the most up to date version not because Sync tells me but because I can see it the release loaded in my vehicle. As much as computers are never wrong, right?

There are obvious differences between model years that I am not sure I understand unless the unit was upgraded beyond some of the power changes that I have read. I test drove an XLT with the upgraded system in it and it had 3 preset surround options to choose from, Driver, Front and Rear. My 2011 Limited has none of that. I also don't have the adjusting backup guides that I see on the 12 models. I wonder if that is part of a future release for older models or just something that was developed along the way into the newer models...

The active guides are part of the active park assist package. If you do not have the automatic parallel parking, you will have fixed guides instead.

The surround options should be available on your Limited w/ Sony stereo. It would not be available on the base model, or the xlt w/out the premium sound. There really haven't been any feature changes since the '11 model. And the options you describe are unrelated to the MFT version number.

I have asked the question as to why we don't have SYNC Services and VHR in Canada since 2011 and never have received a valid answer.

Interesting about the Active Guides in the Rear View Camera needing optional Active Park Assist, my wife's 13 Acadia Denali doesn't have APA and the Rear View Camera guidelines are not fixed.

Also with the 911 assist, ,modern day Public Safety Answer Point Centers (PSAP) are set up nowadays with E911 or Enhanced 911. This means that when the 911 call is received at the PSAP the system locks in the ANI/ALI information (Automatic Number Information/Automatic Location Information) along with GPS coordinates of the wireless device calling. The problem is not all PSAP's have this modern technology so what they end up looking for is the subscriber info.

In Canada its law that Cell carriers push this info to the PSAP, but not all PSAP's can accept and interpret properly with their call-taking and dispatch software.

In the US most States have similar laws but not sure if its across all of the US.

It would be nice if MFT is able to grab the LAT/LONG off our vehicles and push that to the PSAP to ensure Emergency Responders have a better location.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back