• Register Today It's free!

Synthetic ATF

95limited

Reaction score
City, State
Nice, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Limited
A band broke in my transmission causing the lose of 2nd gear. The transmission has been overhauled and is running great now. My question is if using a synthetic ATF would have prevented this? Also, at how many miles on the overhauled transmission should I change over to a synthetic?

Thanks,
al

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doubtful but I'm not tranny expert, may have prolonged it but thats a physical break and not something to fluid related I believe. Can't go wrong with syth fluids because their a lot superior to conventionals.

your band breakage and syn fluids are unrelated. Syn's are excellent, if expensive. Tranny coolers are maybe more helpful than just changing to SYN, doing both is better, but a broken band is in many cases, just bad karma catching up with you.

95limited said:
A band broke in my transmission causing the lose of 2nd gear. The transmission has been overhauled and is running great now. My question is if using a synthetic ATF would have prevented this? Also, at how many miles on the overhauled transmission should I change over to a synthetic?

Thanks,
al

Without knowing what caused your tranny problems, saying any type of ATF could have prevented the problem is absurd.

I would swith to synthetic ATF now. When you switch, be sure to do a flush and change all of the fluid.

Good luck ........

Ya know sometimes I feel I have a lot of posts, and then along comes Aldive with 4x as many and I feel like a noob!

Glacier991 said:
Ya know sometimes I feel I have a lot of posts, and then along comes Aldive with 4x as many and I feel like a noob!

No, I consider you one of the most knowledgeable members; one who is always ready to help. And one who's post I always read.

With a new tranny I would recomend switching to synthetic. Search of Aldive's flush method and you'll be set!

HOLY SHI!, pardon the grammar but I just noticed that AL had 16,000 posts. Way to go, you retired AL? LOL

SID

Glacier991 said:

Hey Al, the reason I asked was I saw no way synthetic ATF could have prevented the band from breaking. The break was very clean and there was no metal in the pan. If a broken band is a primary failure with this transmission then is it really worth switching to synthetic? Also, if I do switch to synthetic, how long should I wait after the overhaul?
Never mind the last question, I just went back and saw you said NOW.

I wanted to go with synthetic but the transmission shop owner talked me out of it. He said to switch over after 3 months or more. He also recommended Red Line.

It's not a bad idea to use a normal trans fluid with a rebuild, just like a new engine, or rebuild. Let the most wear occur during the first several hundred miles, it's natural breaking in. The when convenient, change the fluid and filter again, using the best fluid, and a Lubegard additive.

Do add an inline filter soon though. It can save the system from further contaminants getting into the coolers, etc, and causing a future failure. The one I bought came from a trans parts shop, and will last over 25,000 miles. Good luck,

Back