Synthetic oil worth it? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Synthetic oil worth it?

Been using Mobil syn and a Motorcraft filter since I bought it off the showroom floor. I have 285000 miles on it now and it does not burn one ounce of oil. Change oil and filter every 10000 miles... no problems. I also use Mobil trans syn and have never had an issue with the transmission. I am a firm believer in synthetics.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Been using Mobil syn and a Motorcraft filter since I bought it off the showroom floor. I have 285000 miles on it now and it does not burn one ounce of oil. Change oil and filter every 10000 miles... no problems. I also use Mobil trans syn and have never had an issue with the transmission. I am a firm believer in synthetics.

That is good enough for me, reading this entire thread it looks like RickOTR has a good handle on things...285K miles wow!

There is a big difference between Synthetic and Mineral type oil.

It is not the main point that you can use Synthetic oil for longer periods of time, the fact is that synthetic oil simply does not break down like conventional oil, it just gets dirty.

The minute you start your engine after a change with conventional oil the breakdown process starts. Synthetic offers 100% protection from the time you put it in until the time you change it, the reason for changing it is that it gets dirty.

I have used them all and really love Royal Purple it has performed best for me in my engine and yes I do notice a difference in performance.

A while back Horsepower TV did a story on Royal Purple oil and Toured the factory in Texas, they take samples and perform quality checks at every step of the process in their on site laboratory. Their quality standards are super stringent and they will scrap a batch at any step along the way if it does not meet quality standards.

I have been using Royal Purple for 10yrs and love the stuff. I use it with a Baldwin oil filter in my X.

I want to try amsoil but am a little skeptical about their multi level marketing practices. I am sure it is awesome oil but don;t understnad why you cannot easily buy it in a store.

Also some of their test results verses other oils are kind of fishy to me. I do own an Amsoil air filter and it is awesome all around.

There is a big difference between Synthetic and Mineral type oil.

It is not the main point that you can use Synthetic oil for longer periods of time, the fact is that synthetic oil simply does not break down, it just gets dirty.

The minute you start your engine after a change with conventional oil the breakdown process starts. Synthetic offers 100% protection from the time you put it in until the time you change it, the reason for changing it is that it gets dirty.

Synthetic oils surely do break down. They're less prone to shearing due to very little VII being used. They're more resistant to oxidation ..which is, effectively, aging due to exposure to heat.

OTOH, if you can keep the oil clean, whether conventional or synthetic ..and replenish the additives that decay on either a per rpm basis (zddp, etc.) or a time/duration stand point ..then both will do just fine. Keep in mind that if you're using a tp filter, you're servicing it about every 3k. It takes about 30k to have the original sump be a lower value then the first quart added to the system in make up (plot it out with 20% of all adds being decreased by 20% with each new quart being added. You can use a synth with a tp filter ..but typically you're dumping perfectly good oil to service the filter.

Now if this is in regard to a diesel ..then some things are different. Diesels can trump a few things in terms of the length of the OCI. They, inherently, remain cleaner than gasoline engines just due to the fuel that gets into the oil. Get the soot under control ..you won't have sludge to deal with. They reach high enough temperatures while running (250-275F oil temp under load) that they don't suffer from moisture and other TBN depleting things that normally plague gasoline engines. The fuel evaps (mostly) as well. 25k with a synth HDEO is nothing on a VW TDI ..it's a stretch for a gasoline engine over the same length.

From Bitog

Back