Synthetic oil worth it? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Synthetic oil worth it?

What do you mean "as good as"?

I don't understand the 10w30 "as good as" statement either. Looking forward to the reply.

Remember folks that 0W30 and 5W30 and 10W30 are all the same viscosity at operating temps. 0W30 is less viscous than 5W30 and 10W30 at cold temps only and aids in starting at very low temps. Obviously not a factor for Al down in FLA, but he's not hurting anything either. I got into a big debate with others on another site and a few people called 0W30 "thin" oil and implied it will cause damage to your vehicle. Actually, the opposite is true. Thin oil at cold temps means it protects quicker on startup. Once warm, it's a 30 weight oil like the others.

I'm using Series 2000 0w30 and Amsoil Ea filters as well. I'm not doing Oil Analysis, but am changing oil once a year. I'm on my 2nd year now. I know the benefits of UOA, but it's a hassle for me. I'm OK with dumping "perfectly good oil" once a year. I'll probably get an analysis done some day.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How many miles are on the one year change?

Thanks ....

I have a similar question. 1995 ex with 170k worth switching at this point? Thanks.

I have a similar question. 1995 ex with 170k worth switching at this point? Thanks.

If you can afford the change, then do it, but it is a commitment, once you go synthetic you should never go back.

If your a religious oil changer (3000miles) go with normal Dino. You will get the same protection as any Synthetic. If you want longer oil change intervals go with a synthetic Group III base.

If you want better synthetics go to a group IV V oils, like Amsoil.

For what you get for mobil1 5w-30 synthetic (group III, very good group III) you can buy Penzoil Platinum for cheaper (walmart seen for under $4quart. I don't know if it has gone up since)

I think to take advantage of your synthetic you need to go to bypass filtration, whether its a spin on or a full TP bypass filter. They are all very good with the TP at the top in filtration.

If your making use of oil analysis then synthetics are worth it. otherwise you may be changing out perfectly good oil.

Ive seen questions like this asked many times. Using high quality synthetic is always worth it simply from the extended oil change interval perspective, you just have to take advantage of that capability. If you dont, then, no, it will cost you much more.

Unless you simply like crawling under your truck to perform this rather mundane task, then synthetic oil is worth it as it will free up your personal time ( and can save you $ in the long run.)

As long as your 170k engine is not already leaking oil, sure it is worth it.

The wear protection is as good as the heavier 10w30 oil.

Why would you take a chance using 0W30 Al if it does nothing for you??

AAA says using synthetic fluids increase milage by an average of 3%, that means engine, trans and diffs.

When I put Moble 1 synthetic 0-30 in my 88, the engine sounded much louder than with regular 10W40, but the gas mileage was a little better. I had to add oil more often with the thinner oil. My 88, and 89 need 2 quarts every other month.

When I put Moble 1 synthetic 0-30 in my 88, the engine sounded much louder than with regular 10W40, but the gas mileage was a little better. I had to add oil more often with the thinner oil. My 88, and 89 need 2 quarts every other month.

I have never added any oil whatsoever when using extended OCI using synthetic oil.

The wear protection is as good as the heavier 10w30 oil.

I don't think you understand multiviscosity oil theory. I suggest doing some reading.

Why would you take a chance using 0W30 Al if it does nothing for you??

What chance am I taking? UOA data support my 25k plus mile OCI.
I have never added any oil whatsoever between oil changes.

I use 0w30 oil ( Amsoil Series 2000 [ Dead Link Removed ] ) because (1) I want the best oil possible and (2) I use the 0w version for the extra gas mileage it provides when the oil is cold, albeit rather rare here in the Sunshine State.

My engine uses a lot of oil regardless if it's ordinary oil or synthetic. I don't think synthetic oil would make the engine consume more oil, it's just thinner so it seeps past piston rings, and leaks out of seals faster. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with synthetic, just that with the condition of my engine it tends to consume, and leak more with thinner oil. I'm sure that a synthetic which is a high viscosity (20W50 if they even make anything that thick) would not get consumed as much.

If an engine is using oil, its time to rebuild it or replace it; in my opinion, using thicker oil is just a band aid patch. If the engine is leaking oil, it should be repaired.

I guess if you have consumption and leaking, then sludge is your friend and going to synthetic will only help clean it up and cause all kinds of leaky surprises.

Myth: synthetics cause engines to leak.
Fact: leak was already there and synthetic oils cleaning properties removed your sludge seal.

After putting a can of seafoam into the engine, a lot of junk came out, but I didn't notice the engine consuming oil any faster after this. I guess it wasn't a noticeable difference after using only one can.

You can try Auto-RX engine treatment for great engine cleaning. I have ready very good things about it on my oil forum. I have read that oil consumption is not necessarily a bad sign. Some engines do more than other as long as its just not bad rings and seals.

To stay on topic. Yes synthetics are worth it IMO.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If your a religious oil changer (3000miles) go with normal Dino. You will get the same protection as any Synthetic. If you want longer oil change intervals go with a synthetic Group III base.

If you want better synthetics go to a group IV V oils, like Amsoil.

For what you get for mobil1 5w-30 synthetic (group III, very good group III)

I thought Mobil 1 was a good group IV base? I thought all fully synthetic oils were at least Group IV? I thought most Group III oils are blends?

Back