Synthetic oil worth it? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Synthetic oil worth it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought Mobil 1 was a good group IV base? I thought all fully synthetic oils were at least Group IV? I thought most Group III oils are blends?

No longer thats why all the members on BITOG are pissed with it. They are still charging group IV prices for a still (extremely good group III). think the only real ones I know as group IV, PAO are Amsoil, and Redline. I am still new to the forum and learning what oil is Realy about.

I honestly can't go into detail as its new information I have been reading from BITOG's site. Give em a look. Some of those guys are genuin oil gurus. BITOG

I have gone to TP bypass fitration because of what I learned from them.

I thought that seafoam was expensive. This is a few times the price just for one bottle: http://auto-rx.com/cart/order.htm Was doesn't anybody locally sell it?

I have read very good things about it from my oil forum BITOG. Lots of guys swear buy it. If you want the lowdown on it FRANK from Bitog is the guy to talk to among reading posts about it.

I just got my first bottle of Auto-rx and will see how it does.

This topic is like beating a dead horse. At least one new thread a day about Synthetic oil.

Synthetic oil is obviously better, but the brand name does not matter. Some people religiously swear by Amsoil...Amsoil is no better than any other Walmart full syn oil(Was proven by lab). It is outrageously over priced and you can get just as good, if not better engine protection from any other synthetic oil at Walmart (Mobil1, Castrol, Quakerstate)and it is by far cheaper to do it. I personally wouldn't wait for 15k to do an oil change, I do mine every 3k or so. If you wait that long at least change the filter every 3-5k...But since your gonna be under the truck to change the filter might as well take the extra 5 minutes to change to oil. Only makes sense.

BEWARE OF THE AMSOIL MORMANS!!!

I'm sure that a bunch of people will comment on this. It might start an oil war greater than the one we have now (with gas going up about 10 cents per gallon every week).

Yeah, gas prices are pushing $4 a gallon where I'm at in Cali. I don't use my exploder unless absolutely necessary. I ride my Kingpin everywhere I go and don't have to gas up for a week and a half, and better yet it only cost $18 to fill it up, compared to the $50+ for the exploder.

This topic is like beating a dead horse. At least one new thread a day about Synthetic oil.

Synthetic oil is obviously better, but the brand name does not matter. Some people religiously swear by Amsoil...Amsoil is no better than any other Walmart full syn oil(Was proven by lab). It is outrageously over priced and you can get just as good, if not better engine protection from any other synthetic oil at Walmart (Mobil1, Castrol, Quakerstate)and it is by far cheaper to do it. I personally wouldn't wait for 15k to do an oil change, I do mine every 3k or so. If you wait that long at least change the filter every 3-5k...But since your gonna be under the truck to change the filter might as well take the extra 5 minutes to change to oil. Only makes sense.

BEWARE OF THE AMSOIL MORMANS!!!

If your gonna do 3k changes use whatever you want.

Amsoil is true synthetic Group IV PAO hence the price. The others you mentioned are not Group IV.

Any oil is as good as synthetic as long as you change your oil often. Syns are for extended oil change.

I have read Penzoil Platinum is a great buy when you can find it. Mobil1 is expensive. So for 2 dollars more buy a real PAO of your choice.

I have not used any real PAO group IV oils. I was thinking Penzoil Platinum group III if I can only find it in stock. Its under $5 a quart.

I am running TP bypass filtration, so I will be making the best use of whatever oil I use.

Terry at Dyson Analysis is a great guy and my first sample will be sent in when I start my test to get a baseline.

LOL you can only discuss oil so much...lol
I have learned a lot though about synthetics form the oil forums. yeah some do preach the oils and stuff..LOL

Amsoil is true synthetic Group IV PAO hence the price. The others you mentioned are not Group IV.

That still doesn't make it any better than any other full syn oil.

That still doesn't make it any better than any other full syn oil.

they are group III, but group III can be called Synthetic.
So if your going to reference them then you need to say group III or IV not synthetic.

they are group III, but group III can be called Synthetic.
So if your going to reference them then you need to say group III or IV not synthetic.

If it were not full syn then they wouldn't label it "Full Syn".

sorry guys just passing on what I have read...
here are some links and info,
First
http://www.pecuniary.com/newsletters/syntheticsdefined.html

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=751041&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1&nt=4

http://www.machinerylubrication.com...The Evolution of Base Oil Technology - Part 3

I will look for more of the threads i read.
I encourage you to join an oil forum and read up on oil and bypass filtration.

Yes there is a big argument if mobil1 is group III or IV. It definitely was at one point during its case. So far consensus points to group III so it as a "allegedly" group IV for some. Again I am passing on what I read. Please read the sites.

another link http://theoildrop.server101.com/for...7&Words=Groupese&topic=&Search=true#Post85339

Amsoil and (allegedly) Mobil 1 are PAO synthetics. The product is derived from ethylene gas and hydrogen in a catalyst. No oil to it. This is Group IV oil. All Group IV oil is PAO. Amsoil buys (IIRC) their PAO from Mobil (or has XOM produce it for them) ..again ..IIRC.

Group III basestocks start as oil. Get smacked around in a catalyst too. They get reformed into smaller molecules.

Group V basestocks are esters or anything that doesn't fit into Group IV or Group III ..but are synthesized

Again synthetics are worth it if you want extended oil change intervals harsh environment performance. Its expensive when you go dump it every 3k or 5k miles without oil analysis to tell you how your oil/vehicle is performing. If you want even longer OCI then get a bypass filter.

Thanks guys. I was actually a little concerned about the "sludge bandaid" concept but didn't know if it was an urban legend/old wive's tail deal. I don't really consume oil so I'm switching on the next change. I hope to see a little mileage improvement from this too. Also going to try the seafoam treatment, I had never heard of it but have a feeling I need it. =o]

... and if the Tornado didn't save gas they wouldn't say it.

Obviously it does, thats why they say it. Otherwise it is false advertisement.

AMS workes really well. I get it for free cause my brother's friend owns a Car dealership that uses it. =)

Obviously it does, thats why they say it. Otherwise it is false advertisement.

Are you serious? If so, I have some oceanfront property in Iowa for sale real cheap!

If an engine is using oil, its time to rebuild it or replace it; in my opinion,

I have a car w/ 100,000 miles on the clock that uses 1/2 a qt every 5k, are you suggesting that I should have it rebuilt?:confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back