• Register Today It's free!

Synthetic oil worth it?

spotdog14

Reaction score
City, State
East Lansing, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
Our explorer recently went over the 160,000 mile mark and on the last oil change i went with a full synthetic oil, im sorry i dont remember what the brand was, but it was the stuff in the green bottle. Anyways is it worth the full synthetic with the miles i have? The stupid sales person actually tried to talk me out of it for some reason, and my oil change intervals have changed to 15,000 instead of 3,000.

Anywho what do you guys think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, you bet. You should have done it earlier though, lol

Don't wsit that long between changes. The oil can last that long, the filter cannot. When filters become used(not clogged but restrictive), they bypass oil, thus no longer filter it. That happens with all filters, just sooner with some.

I worked in a lube shop in Wyoming for about 3 years. One of the popular oils that we carried was Amsoil, I am currently using the 7500 and change my oil every 6k or so. With the 15000 mile oil the local amsoil dealer suggested getting a "filter spin" every 7500 miles (change just the oil filter)
I am not familiar with all of it as much anymore, I am in the IT field now, but I think that the green is either Quaker State or Castrol. from what I have the "fully synthetic" is actually more of a synthetic blend.
I would research the type of oil that you are getting and find out what the manufacturer says about time between oil changes and filter spins.

Don't wsit that long between changes. The oil can last that long, the filter cannot. When filters become used(not clogged but restrictive), they bypass oil, thus no longer filter it. That happens with all filters, just sooner with some.

You can definately go with a 25k OCI if using a high quality sunthetic oil ( not a blend ). If using cheap filters, simply change the filter, not the oil.

You can use Amsoil EaO oil filters that are guaranteed 25k miles or 1 year.

You can definately go with a 25k OCI if using a high quality sunthetic oil ( not a blend ). If using cheap filters, simply change the filter, not the oil.

Now I've got to ask, I've been using Castrol full synthetic for about 120k miles changed every 5k religiously. I'd never go any longer because it comes out dirty as it is. Is there something I'm missing here or what?

Now I've got to ask, I've been using Castrol full synthetic for about 120k miles changed every 5k religiously. I'd never go any longer because it comes out dirty as it is. Is there something I'm missing here or what?

Yes, the physical appearance, ie, the color of the oil, is not an indicator of its quality.

The only way to tell is by doing a UOA.

My friend I am afrade that you are throwing away perfectly good oil.

Since we are talking about filters. I'm using the Motorcraft FL-1A I believe, curious, will this be good for 6K OCI?

Thank You, Al

hey al, i know im a little late on this post, but how often do you change your synthetic?

You can go the full 25k miles using an Amsoil filter? I thought when going that long you had to change the filter in the middle no matter how good? How good are K&N filters compared to Amsoil filters? They are a better quality filter and should be for $13 a pop.

You can go the full 25k miles using an Amsoil filter?

Yes. Take a look at Dead Link Removed

I thought when going that long you had to change the filter in the middle no matter how good?

Amsoil EaO Filters are guaranteed for 25,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first, when used in conjunction with AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oil in gasoline and diesel vehicles in normal service, 15,000 miles in severe service.

How good are K&N filters compared to Amsoil filters? They are a better quality filter and should be for $13 a pop.

They are great filters, don't know how long they will go however. The Amsoil EaO filters will easily go

On a 1st gen X with miles, I don't see the point. The engine is old & most leak or seep from the pan gasket or valve covers. Some use oil as well. The 4.0L is really tough. The auto tranny is not I'd rather invest in something better for that. Standard 10W30 for me changed every 3K miles. Synthetic oil changes by me cost $49.99 min.

Now on a new car or an newer explorer, it's a different ballgame. Or if the engine was replaced or rebuilt.

On a 1st gen X with miles, I don't see the point. The engine is old & most leak or seep from the pan gasket or valve covers. Some use oil as well. The 4.0L is really tough. The auto tranny is not I'd rather invest in something better for that. Standard 10W30 for me changed every 3K miles. Synthetic oil changes by me cost $49.99 min.

Now on a new car or an newer explorer, it's a different ballgame. Or if the engine was replaced or rebuilt.

No one is twisting your arm; do what you think is best for you.

I am a huge fan of synthetic oil and have been using it for the last 15yrs, in 5 new vehicles, all of which I owned well passed 100k mi and they ran like new.

At the very least you will get on average of a 3% increase in fuel milage, not to mention the added wear benefits.

I am about to start using synthetic in my wifes 2007 Camry V6, the odo just turned 15k mi and it is time baby.

Al, I understand you use the new 0w30 weight from Amsoil, has this increased horse power or fuel milage for you?? I read that Amsoil states it protects as good as a 10w30 weight oil.

It will either be Amsoil or Royal Purple. I tried the new Lucas full synthetic but was not impressed. RP seems to make my motor hum more than the others and its purple baby...:burnout:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

At the very least you will get on average of a 3% increase in fuel milage,

Where did you read this?

Al, I understand you use the new 0w30 weight from Amsoil, has this increased horse power or fuel milage for you??

I do indeed use Series 2000 0w30 oil from Amsoil, however, it is not new. (I doubt it will increase mileage to any significant amount over another quality synthetic such as Mobil 1.

I read that Amsoil states it protects as good as a 10w30 weight oil.

What do you mean "as good as"?

Back