Synthetic Oil

Digger196

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Winston-Salem, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Cherokee
Alright guys i just need a quick for sure answer.

What i'm going to do is change the oil in the Ex. to Mobil 1 10W30 for 3, 000 miles and then change it and then fill it back up again with Mobil 1 10W30 so it will be pure and all synthetic oil.

Question is, How many miles can i go till i have to change the oil? It does not say on the bottle. Also does the filter have to same life?

I searched and everything but there was not a true set milage answer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any time I have asked I've been told 6000 mi. Gerald, I think, did an experiment testing synthetic oil. He went as long as 15,000 mi. I beleive. I know he changed the filter, but don't know when.

I run Mobil 1( 5w-30) and change the oil every 10,000 miles, which for me is once a year, and change the filter every 5000miles and top off.

Good Luck.

Cool, Thanks

Aldive has gone 20,000 using Amsoil.

Check this thread: Dead Link Removed

I recently switched to Mobil 1 in my cars. I plan to change the oil at leat every 5,000-miles, depending on highway verses heavy duty use. Seems to me that around 5,000-miles the oilpan is about 1-quart low. I am pretty sure that 1-quart is the volitale additives in the oil. In my opinion this is the point where the oil needs to be changed or an oil additive needs to be added.

The mileage and length of time is up to the individual. No oil manufacture recommends going past the auto manufacture's recommended oil change intervals. This is to protect them, not you. AMSOIL is the only oil company that recommends a 25,000/1yr, 35,000/1yr or 100,000+ oil change interval as long as you follow their specifications. Since I use AMSOIL products in everything, I run the 100,000+ and have done so on the following vehicle with no problems: 1983 Ford Ranger 2.0L 4X2 (187,000 miles), 1985 Ford Midsize LTD 3.8L (145,000 miles), 1988 Ford Ranger 4X4 S/C 2.9L (197,000 miles) and 1992 Ford Aerostar Extended Window van 3.0L (147,000 miles) and 1997 Ford Explorer Sport 4.0SOHC (75,000 miles). All were sold in excellent working condition with none of them using any oil at their time of sale except for the Aerostar. That was 1 quart every 9-11,000 miles. At present my 1994 Mercury Sable (3.8L) is at 114,00 miles and just came back from a round trip to N.C yesterday, still uses no oil. The 2001 Explorer Sport (4.0SOHC) just turned 30,000 miles with no concerns while the 2001 Mustang (3.8L) is still sleeping in the garage with a paltry 11,000 happy AMSOIL miles on it. To me, AMSOIL is the best. However, the use of any quality "TRUE" synthetic is well worth the price as it's cheap insurance for an expensive investment in transportation.:)

Originally posted by unclemeat
Seems to me that around 5,000-miles the oilpan is about 1-quart low. I am pretty sure that 1-quart is the volitale additives in the oil.

If you are loosing one quart in 5000 miles you have problems - the volitiles are not going to flash off, or evaporate in that quanity. I dont have any loss at 5000 miles.

maybe im used to having oil consuming motors, but 1 qt. usage in 5000 miles doesnt sound bad to me... sounds about normal. i dunno...:confused:

Originally posted by james t
maybe im used to having oil consuming motors, but 1 qt. usage in 5000 miles doesnt sound bad to me... sounds about normal. i dunno...:confused:
I run 3k per oil change on my 94 w/120k and get alot of it all out... no burning...

Originally posted by SteveVB
If you are loosing one quart in 5000 miles you have problems - the volitiles are not going to flash off, or evaporate in that quanity. I dont have any loss at 5000 miles.

Just as I was saying above

My 98 5.0L has 95K miles on it. It has had Mobil 1/filter changed every 15K since it was 28K old. It does not burn a drop and the oil still looks pretty good when it's drained. It may burn a bearing or toss a rod tomorrow, but so far it's been great.

BUT this truck rarely hauls or tows. It has lived it's whole life in Las Vegas and Tucson (can you say HOT ASS SUMMERS?) so it sees some serious ambient temps, but the engine doesn't get brutalized.

Just my $.02.

...Just because you have 5 quarts when you drain your oil doesn't mean you arn't consuming oil, by-products slip by the rings and contaminate the oil, and in turn can give a false level. (gas, water, carbon, ect...)

I use mobil also and I change mine every 6K because I tow a 3800 Ebbtide powerboat. There are a lot good responses here. These guys give a lot of honest good info. Good luck.

cool thanks guys!

I run full synthetic and change mine twice a year, spring and fall. This also equates to roughly 5000-6000 miles. My philosophy is an oil and filter change are cheap maintenance, a new engine is not.

A new engine is not cheap, but if synthetic doesn't help or change anything than there is no point wasting the money. I have seen the fake tests on TV, but are they truely any tests that have shown any benefits or drawbacks between the two? I have run synthetics for a while, but is it better to go 3,000 and switch out the regular oil or go 5,000 to 100,000 to switch synthetic? I don't care if my oil was $500 a quart and came from Mt. Olympus, I would never run it for 100,000 miles. Just my thoughts.

I switched to synthetic (mobil 1) about a year ago. You couldnt stick a gun to my head and make me switch back. I also only use Purilator Pur 1 filters. It got highest rating for oil filters in test (mobil 1 was close second).

I would suggest going to AMSOIL over mobile one. AMSOIL also makes an engine flush that you run through you motor to loosen all the sludge and stuff before adding their synthetic. Since I am a dealer My father and I run AMSOIL in everything....From my fathers diesel 40ft motorhome and our 34ft boat, to the excavator and dozer, honda atvs, my mustangs, trucks, harley, snowmobiles... etc
Its a great product and I love it. Most do the 25,000 mile oil change with filter changes in between. I do have a friend whole has been a dealer for a long time and he swears by it!!!! Good stuff- try it out. Any questions contact me

Originally posted by PUR PONY
I would suggest going to AMSOIL over mobile one. AMSOIL also makes an engine flush that you run through you motor to loosen all the sludge and stuff before adding their synthetic. Since I am a dealer My father and I run AMSOIL in everything....From my fathers diesel 40ft motorhome and our 34ft boat, to the excavator and dozer, honda atvs, my mustangs, trucks, harley, snowmobiles... etc
Its a great product and I love it. Most do the 25,000 mile oil change with filter changes in between. I do have a friend whole has been a dealer for a long time and he swears by it!!!! Good stuff- try it out. Any questions contact me

Just curious, what makes it better than Mobil 1? And how much is it?(qt) If its not too much more, i might give it a try. Thanks for info

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how exactly do you change the oil filter with out losing oil???

or do you drain the synthetic, change the filter, then pour it back in

Back