Tail Light swap 3rd to 4th generation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tail Light swap 3rd to 4th generation

orthoguy

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
I finally did the tail light swap today and decided to post a write with some pics. I got a lot of my info from here before doing this project, but not many pics or details have been posted....so, here you go.

I purchased 4th generation tail lights from a local J/Y. What you want to do if buying from a J/Y is to have them cut the pigtails out of the 4th generation so that the electrical conversion will go much smoother.

You also need to go to your local dealership and order Nuts & Grommets. These are used in the installation process due to being "Snapped In" in two locations instead of the 3rd generation's single mounting stud.

The body modification that has been discussed here is no big deal, you can get as technical as you want here but just a little bending of metal on the upper portion is all that is needed. One side I used pliers and bent the sheet metal and the other side I just tapped it with a hammer....same results. You will probably chip the paint so have some touch up paint on hand.

What is needed? 4th generation tail lights, the factory pigtail from each side and mounting nuts & grommets. Assorted tools & electrical connectors. #splice connectors, butt connectors, electrical tape, utility knife, phillips screw driver, wire stripper, wire cutters, pliers, hammer, touch up paint and so on# If the pigtails do not contain the bulbs you will need; 194's for the upper lens, 921's for the back up lens & you will use your current brake/turn signal lamp & socket. The part number for the nut is; W711079-S300 and the grommet; W709484-S300. The nuts are about a $1.00 ea and the grommets are about $3.00 ea. You will need #2# nuts & #2# grommets. You will use #1# nut & grommet per side. The nut inserts into the upper cut-out and the grommet inserts into the lower cut-out.

I was going to do a complete pigtail swap but the 3rd gen has only 4 wires and the 4th gen has 5 so I decided to just add the pieces I needed.

These are the match up of wires on my EX #2002 Limited# to the 4th gen pigtail:

For the DRIVERS SIDE back up light: Cut off old BU socket and wire in 4th gen socket:
Black w/ Red stripe #3rd gen# to Brown w/ Blue stripe #4th gen wiring#
Black wire #3rd gen# to Black w/Green stripe #4th gen wiring#

For the DRIVERS SIDE upper tail light: #this is the extra 3rd light# You want to splice into your current Brake/Turn signal wiring.
Splice Black wire #3rd gen# to Black w/green stripe #4th gen wiring#
Splice Brown wire #3rd gen# to Blue w/ white stripe #4th gen wiring#

For the PASSENGER SIDE back up light: Cut off old BU socket and wire in 4th gen socket:
Black w/ red stripe #3rd gen# to Brown w/ Blue stripe #4th gen wiring#
Black wire #3rd gen# to Black w/gray stripe #4th gen wiring#

For the PASSENGER SIDE upper tail light #extra light#
Splice Black wire #3rd gen# to Black w/ Green stripe #4th gen wiring#
Splice Brown wire #3rd Gen# to Blue w/ white stripe #4th gen wiring#

"WIRE AT YOUR OWN RISK, THIS IS WHAT WORKED ON MY EX, YOURS MAY BE DIFFERENT"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Rondo!

You're welcome. I love the 4th gen tails and have this on my wish list.

Thanks for taking the time to do this write-up. :thumbsup:

You're welcome. I love the 4th gen tails and have this on my wish list.

Thanks for taking the time to do this write-up. :thumbsup:

You are welcome...now on to the 4th gen door mirror replacement!

There are several write-ups on that project.

Good luck!

To the OP:

I'll be using your write up to do this mod to my 3rd gen EB. Voting for a sticky on this post, well written and good pics :salute:

Thanks for the compliment, glad to help!

Awesome Write up!!! Will be doing this soon!! Getting a new paint job soon so gotta do this before then! Awesome results to!

I purchased 4th generation tail lights from a local J/Y. What you want to do if buying from a J/Y is to have them cut the pigtails out of the 4th generation so that the electrical conversion will go much smoother.

i typed in 4th gen ford explorer taillights and couldn't find a link to a item, any recommendations?

Anyone know item number to those headlights?? Can't find them

Here is the dilemma I face, in Australia we only went up to 3rd gen, our tail lights are different, we have from top to bottom Stop/Tail, Reverse, Amber signal and a Rear Fog.
IMG_2285_zpse0ef6ecb.jpg

In the 4th Gen EX, what does the tail light assembly have, theres a chance that if it has a rear fog, I may already have the wiring for it. (please excuse my mate Kenny in the photo but its the only decent one I have showing the tail light).

Also, if i decided to grab some 4th gen tail lights of Ebay, would anybody be interested in going to Ford and getting the required nuts etc as US dealers wont post to Australia and, depending on what my wiring is like, to a junk yard for the loom. I will pay of course.

Its hard wanting to modify an Explorer in Australia as they are pretty rare over here and VERY FEW people have bothered doing much to them...

Cheers Dan

Bro, plenty of Ford dealers will post to Aus/Nz. Tasca Ford is good.

I pm the op (a few weeks back) asking for some pics of the sockets as the first problem you may find is the your bayonets wont match the socket properly. Depending on how great the mismatch, you could get away with dremeling the sockets or more likely you may have to buy some bulb holders too.

Anyone able to take the few minutes to post a pic of the sockets so the locking tabs are visible?

I contacted one dealer in California about a key pad for the central locking and they wouldn't post to Australia, I'll try Tasca ford, thanks! I might even price up the tail light loom from them too, could be easier to get the loom to suit the lights and cut both plugs and fit a new one to the car as well as the light end, at least that way ill have the correct sockets.

Great info!
I recently changed my 04 to the newer style lights!
Only difference is I tinted mine on the sides and the reverse light.

IMG_9086_zpsfd161c0b.jpg

IMG_7654_zps5c89d117.jpg

Explorer3_zpsb3760529.jpg

Got mine done. I also added some Feniex leds into them. Red and amber. I will also be using the Feniex leds as reverse lights since I can not find reverse light sockets.

REar 1.JPG

does anyone know if mountaineer tails fit ?

Mountaineer tails do not fit. They are smaller in height so you would have to switch to the mountaineer rear bumper.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4th generation tail lights are priced much more than 3rd generation lights. That's the only thing that prevents me from doing this!

Back