• Register Today It's free!

Tailgate and gas mileage?

dla

Reaction score
City, State
NW Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 2wd, 2.3, 5spd man
My little 2.3L, 2wd Ranger gets 30mpg on the highway already, so I'm not complaining about mileage. I'm wondering if it would do a little better with the tailgate down? I've seen trucks with either the tailgate down or webbing. Does the tailgate matter?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have seen several studies that debunk the myth that the tailgate down improves mileage.

It would be interesting for you to test it on your truck.

your truck is designed for the air to travel kind of flat over the bed edge with the tailgate on...with the tailgate down you disturb the flow and create turbulants, dirty air...also, i'm not sure about your truck but on my generations there are 3 or 4 notes as to not put bug shields on in the owners manual...again, disturbs the air it was designed for...
btw, also, when you drive with the tailgate down you are actually hurting your bed...the sides tend to move as they are no longer supported and they weakin do to the stress...that is why you will see trucks with angle supports tying the sides to the bed at or just behind where the tailgate would go...
if you are getting 30 mpg, just keep her maintained....thats amazing milage...i'm curious what you get on one tank around town driving only and what size tank you have????

Mythbusters tested all of those. The air flow is worse with the tailgate down, or off, or with a "web." Leave it up,

.i'm curious what you get on one tank around town driving only and what size tank you have????

The truck has a 17gal tank. My city mileage varies between 21-25 - depending on how I drive. The EPA rating for this vehicle is 24-city and 29-highway, so I don't think my results are out of the ordinary. 2wd,5sp manual, regular cab.

my milage is in my signature and i have a 16 gal tank... i actually improved my milage to what it is with my mods...i'm sure i could get better milage without the weight of the shell, carpet kit and tools...;)
the reason i asked as i was chatting with someone about the new escapes...i just seen their sticker the other day and it is 17 city-i think 24 hwy but i also seen the new ranger commercial and they show 29 hwy and i didn't see city milage...:D

OK guys, but I bet if you drove in reverse all the time it would make a difference if it was up or down :confused:

Actually on the mythbusters show, the tailgate web did improve mileage. I would leave it up or by the net, leaving it down without a load on or flags of some sort is usually illegal and can create a problem for cars at that level as they can't see the tailgate is down. You could always buy a tonneau cover, you can pick cheap ones up for about $200 or so. As for weakening the bed sides, I can see that if you have toolboxes or other gear against the sides of the bed. I would either get the net, a tonneau cover or just leave the tailgate up. Any gains will be minimal, but you may find some.

Dan

Back