Tellico Nov 2nd - 3rd | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tellico Nov 2nd - 3rd

Jason, Gerald gave the answer why that date. I'm open for other dates and other runs. For me, only condition would be that we have at least one person with us who has been there before. Other than that ...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

tellico

Yo get there from tn. , what highway do you take?

Re: tellico

Originally posted by EXPLODER-1
Yo get there from tn. , what highway do you take?
Highway :confused: Tellico is close to Murphy, NC, so looking at a map, looks like exiting I-40 and taking rt 129 south to me. But, if I would be you, I would take a map myself and look up the best way from where I live.
If this is too complicated, try www.mapquest.com
If this still is too complicated, then :frustrate

;)

(Edit: Am I becoming an Ol' Krusty too? Sorry if my post sounds bit**y, I like helping people, but I don't like doing their work because they are too lazy.)

Directions

Thanks for the response, I downloaded the map cnc has, and the atlas did not show that area. Thought those with experience might be able to help me out. Sorry to have put you to all that trouble.:( I didn't expect an a$$hole response, but wait, that's right, it came from "donkey boy" should have known. Anyway thanks.

Re: Directions

Originally posted by EXPLODER-1
... but wait, that's right, it came from "donkey boy" should have known ....
:rolleyes: :D

hehe.. ol krusty 2 :D

exploder-1.. that's just the jeep in him talkin! :p

i'm excited about this one.. as long as the in-laws don't make a surprise appearance again!

Ass boy. LOL :D

-Don't even start with monkey!
:)

Okay, here's a suggestion.

It gets a little frustrating all the times when we've posted about Tellico trips and then no one can figure out if stockers belong there, and who's gonna show up, and who promised to show and didn't, and hoo-boy after seeing those photos we realize there's no such thing as a "puppy run" (true, BTW), and etc etc etc.

Last weekend while there with Michael, Mudd*****, and Josh Adams, we found a GREAT campsite just 4 miles from the turnoff to Tellico and that is where I want to stay from now on. Dedicated to fourwheelers, spotless CLEAN showers, fuel on site, free wood, garage rent for $20/hr if you break something (completely equipped w/welder, air, etc; and you can eat off of the floor it's so clean) and much cheaper than a motel room, plus lots of fourwheelers stay there so the night comraderie should be pretty cool. Plus it has an insane rockgarden to watch the monsters walk over for entertainment. How many campgrounds install a rockgarden soley for their customers, huh? I like this place. Plus when we visited there every one of the customers sold the heck outta the place and insisted on us trying it out. When a business has customers going out of their way to tell others how great it is, that's worth a look.

Check the Texans Tellico Aftermath thread and decide if you still want to come here. If so, I can arrive the weekend before our Nov 1st run ( Oct 25-27) and camp out. It is beautiful there and worth it just to camp out so come'on out.

I will lead a run of "Superstockers" only and no less that weekend on several trails and I can guarantee that whomever wants to come will have the run of their life. You all have 2 1/2 months to become a Superstocker:
  • 4wd
  • 31" Agressive Tires
  • 1.5+" inches of suspension lift
  • Limited Slip Rear
  • Skidplates
  • Tow points front and rear
  • Required equipment per Trail Equipment
An optional suggestion is to have rocksliders if you are concerned about body damage. If you do decide to run, you will be climbing Fain's Ford on Saturday so check if your body is below your framerails because you may be riding up it on the rails if you don't have sliders:
Dead Link Removed
Here's a pic Josh took that shows another view of the ledge:
fd59add2.jpg

Either that or you can stack a half ton or so of rocks to go up it (which people do; you can see several already stacked in that photo) so the choice is yours. But if so you'll need to leave the trail like we left it and spend time unstacking.

I will check your vehicles when you arrive to make sure you qualify (including the required trail equipment). I've run many trails with lots of people not quite prepared, but I won't screw around with nursemaiding an unprepared group -- Not while doing this place.

I'd like to find at least two Superstock vehicle owners out here that can meet these qualifications. Others with stock vehicles are welcome to come and camp and fellowship with us; and then ride along with us and decide for theirself if they want to run on Sunday on an easy Trail 4 to Trail 3. Stocker owners can ride along with us on Trail 4 earlier in the weekend and see what it is like to get to the entrance to Trail 3 and will be able to judge for themselves what they want to do the next day.

This would be the perfect opportunity for an owner of a stock 4wd to learn about Tellico since you can ride along on Saturday to see how easy it is to get to 3 and then do 4 and 3 yourself on Sunday. I think a stocker won't have a problem doing southern 4 northward to 3 and this would be the perfect chance if you drive one to look it over before diving in the next day. I cannot imagine a better opportunity for you to check this place out and decide for yourself.

This is just a suggestion. Let me know what you guys think. The weekend AFTER the Nov 1st run I'll be on is also a possibility, but I'm not sure what shape Herc will be in that weekend, if you know what I mean :roll:

I'm trying to raise the bar a little here and give ECX members a chance to go for the gusto. It's up to you whether you want to take it. We'll all have fun either way.

I'd be willing to take a day off that Friday in order to join a gonzo kahuna superstocker willing to tackle this place. Tellico is way above GWNF. Ante up if you are willing to.

Don't jenks yourself like that Gerald. I agree with you about them making the decision about running in stockers. I thought months ago about taking my truck, but after hearing and seeing for myself, I have reconsidered.

I'm out. I'm lacking both a proper rear end and suspension lift. Neither of which will get done before then, unless I hit the lotto or something. :rolleyes:

I doubt I'll be doing much wheeling at all until I can find some way to protect the catylic converters. What idiot decided a good place to put them was at the lowest point of the vehicle!? :confused:

i can't do two weekends in a row, so its either the "superstock run" (i should be locked in rear by then) or the nov 2nd run as passenger. i'm definately making one of them. if cash is good to me, i can spring for new tires and a body lift (temporary until the RCD comes out). if this is the case, i will definately do the superstock run. if not, i'll probably stick with passengering. i have to be relatively sure of my vehicle as its the only one i have and the wife's isn't dependable enough to bank it all on now.
camping out is great. i'm up for that.

i'd love to see some other superstockers tackle it.
gotta make me a set a sliders too.

Yep, two weekends in a row may not be doable for me either. Maybe the weekend before that one (Oct 19-20) would work better for me. This is all a suggestion and it's okay with me if it doesn't end up happening.

Re: Okay, here's a suggestion.

Originally posted by GJarrett
I will check your vehicles when you arrive to make sure you qualify (including the required trail equipment).

Good Ol' Krusty ;)

Maybe the weekend before that one (Oct 19-20) would work better for me.

Hey Gerald, don't you know that we have a slabs run planned for that weekend? That means you couldn't possibly run Tellico that weekend ;)

One "superstocker" checking in

Yep, two weekends in a row may not be doable for me either. Maybe the weekend before that one (Oct 19-20) would work better for me. This is all a suggestion and it's okay with me if it doesn't end up happening.
I was off the board for a week and just now checking back. Friday / Saturday of that weekend would work for me, but it looks like interest vanished a bit since Gerald's description of the trails :(
As far as the vehicle requirements, my rig qualifies for "superstocker". Sorry if my description as "lil puppy" was missleading, but compared to the YJ's and TJ's I wheeled with the last few times, I still consider my "superstocker" as "lil puppy". ;)

Originally posted by donkey boy

it looks like interest vanished a bit since Gerald's description of the trails
I'm interested - can't commit at this point, but either 19-20 or 26-27 Oct looks good for me right now. I'll know more as the time nears. I should be able to have one Ranger or the other meeting the "super-stocker" requirements by then. Gotta break the new truck in at some point, this might be the time...

Paul,

Why don't you reserve both weekends :D My bro-in-law is coming with his family for visit, I think they arrive on 10/24 and stay for a little over a week. I can not just disappear 2 or 3 day to Tellico on the weekends of 26-27 and 2-3. But he would be game for one day wheeling, so I'm thinking of going to GWNF on Sunday 10/27. If all works out, I would be hoping for Oct. 19-20 Tellico, 27. GWNF and 28. carwash :D

cash isn't good.. i just bought a new mtn bike so i won't be getting a locker for a while now. i have WAY too many expensive hobbies.
so as it stands.. i'm going to go up on nov 2/3 and ride passenger with one of the big dawgs if that is still an option.
being that my personal account is pretty dry... i can't afford to have any real damage to my vehicle (i'd have to pay for it with the money i don't have) i fit the above definition of "superstocker" but i'd rather hold out on this one. maybe i'll change my mind on that.

gerald.. do you still have an empty passenger seat? if not.. anyone else?

I have a seat if I come. I hear ya about the hobbies. I rebuilt my mountain bike last year, and it was alnmost as much as a new one..!:D

Recap

Just wanted to recap on those going to Tellico on November 2 & 3.

Rick - Bionic Marshmallow
Gerald - Herc

Anyone else for sure....yet?

As mentioned before this is a CNC run, or I guess you could say there is a CNC run at the same time....anyway, one of the guys going is has "Unimog". He says he has the ground clearance to use a 5 gallon bucket to change the diff fluid! :eek:

I'm about 90% finished with the passenger side rockslider. It looks pretty good even if I do say so myself.:D Sometime between now and November I have got to get a new clutch too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rock Sliders

Sure - - they probably look great - - - but how much do they weigh??

Paul
'91 Sport

Back