tempature gauge rises going up hill | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tempature gauge rises going up hill

e200e

Reaction score
City, State
Philly PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer
My 1996 ford explorer xlt . When I go up this one steep hill from work my temp gauge just starts rising and stays at the hot until I reach the top of the hill. Going up the hill im at 2000-2500 rpms. When im not on a hill im fine and I can go 2000-3000 rpms. Last night it happens and this morning I checked coolant resovoir and it was good. Then I checked the radiator and it was still topped. Can anyone relate? If im not leaking is it thermastat sticking or fan clutch? This problem just really bugs me because I love my truck and im afraid to drive anywhere but work cause I dont wanna breakdown or overheat or make matters worse. It happens tonight so tommoro im gonna to check my radiator and resivoir again but I just have a feeling my problem doesn't lie there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would also have the fan checked if the clutch on it is going out the fan wont spin as fast as needed

Might be a false reading. Check the connection at the coolant temp sensor. Make sure it's clean and secure. How big is this hill? If the truck is moving at a good pace, you can rule out the fan. Check for debris between the condenser and radiator, you need good air flow. Also make sure the tensioner is good and the belt isn't glazed.

fan clutch or thermostat very likely. you're on the right trail. going up a steep hill increases stress on the engine and makes it work harder producing more heat. if you can't get rid of that extra heat quickly enough, the temp gauge is gonna go up.

and also, could be the water pump not circulating enough water to compensate for the extra strain causing temps to rise in the engine. but check the cheapest things first, and work your way out.

Before you start throwing parts at it....is this a new symptom or did it always do this on this particular hill? How long and steep is "steep"? 300 yards at 5%? 4 miles at 8%?

Bill

unless it's an incredibly long/steep hill, the phony temp gauge should not be moving very much. i climb a very steep hill every day and my temp gauge never moves perceptively. of course, i'll bet the gauge would go up if i was climbing the Mt Washington Auto Road.

The best thing i learned for going up huge hills is speed up to about 10 mph over speed limit before before you hit the hill and you can coast up it like 2000 rpm by the top you will be goin speed limit

I really appreciate the help guys I have to just keep diagnosing prentice im going to try that tommoro and kick up the speed on the hill. And about the hill its not like steep steep but it's long than steep idk how to explain it properly. Im gonna try and check out that temp gauge sensor that sounds like a good idea. Also the radiator cap im wondering now cause it doesn't seem to be lock tight. I was looking at the fan yesterday and I think that's good because it has a good deal of resistance im not an expert though. Its a work in progress , anyways thanks again guys .

Back