• Register Today It's free!

Texas Tragedy

kubben

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1974 XLL
Sinjin[PEZ], Kris Guilbeaux, trckmagik, GJarrett, Michael, Keach, Eric, and myself all met up and headed to the Slabs for a weekend of four wheeling. It went great, we met up, got there, and hit the trails. I put my truck into 4 wheel but I forgot to put it in neutral for some reason and at the first big water crossing took on some water in the cab. A big funny thing, yea haha, anyhow in Rod’s (Sinjin[PEZ]) laughing I told him it would happen to him some day, his response was something down the lines of “it will never happen to me.”

We got to camp up on this nice rock formation, ate then headed out for some wheeling. It was a lot of fun, rock crawling, water crossing, etc. All went well until we got to the biggest water crossing. Some Jeeps we knew went first and Rod was next. He got almost there and he got stuck, in the water, and the water was up to the windows almost. He tried to get out but only dug himself deeper in the sand. Then his engine died. We pulled him out and asset the damage. The engine ran for awhile but then it quit I mean the seats were underwater at one point, it was sort of bad. So we towed him in a convoy all the way back to camp. The next mourning we headed back home and had to use all 4 trucks to pull him thru this deep sand. We made it back ok.

I had a blast and was glad to meet all you. Hope to do it again.

opps.gif

Oh BTW the water wasen't too warm, look at the kids face

[Edited by kubben on 10-15-2000 at 01:50 PM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

holy smokes, LOL. I hate to see stuff liket hat... I hope nothing got too seriously damaged...e specially since Im waiting on his check for a t-shirt! LOL At least a good picture was taken... it's when you get int hat kind of stuck and DONT take pictures that I get really upset :)

Man, that sucks! I hope everything turns out ok. Rod, if you need any help getting your truck running and nice again, just give me a call. Oh, I'm free tomorrow (Monday) night if you want to get together. I'll pick you up if you want ;)

Glad the rest of the trip went well.

The Rockies

Hey Sinjin[PEZ]......I think you had better come back to Colorado and stick with four wheeling the mountains!!!!! It looks like you do better on mountains than the big water crossings!

Rod was doing great until this obstacle. He said he wanted to get a good picture for the write up and boy did he! I think Ricks needs to start a forum called "Whoops Forum" and let this be the starting picture. We had a great time even though Rods truck became a "Trailor Queen" there on the way home. Rod good luck. Oh by the way we all had fun Friday night in Austin. When I get my solid axle on the Explorer (92) maybe we can head down there for some more wheeling unless you have that new rice burner you may be getting now. Have a good one.

Yikes!!!! I'm always leery of crossing water, and now I know why. I'm sorry to hear about Rod getting in deep. I hope the damage is minor. Best of luck there, Rod.

I'll try to see if I got a better picture to post in a day or two... That pic above was taken early; he went a lot deeper. He kept sinking, I'd say within 2 or 3 inches of his side windows. We have another wannabe U-Boat captain amongst our ranks. Water completely filled his interior.

SinjinPEZ's autotranny filled with water, but we don't think his engine hydrolocked. It died but late this morning he was able to crank it over again. We are hoping that he can do a full tranny flush and get off cheap. Stay tuned.

LOL now the first tiem I got stuck in the mud... if I could've just got stuck in the water afterwords, I would've had had to spend all that money at the car wash! Remember, anything that can get wet, can get dry... not always without problems, but can always get dry. They say the only think you usually have to do if your past your hubs in water is to repack your bearings... but you might have to do a bit more... don't forget the bearings though :).

Thats alot of water guys. If you want to try something with a little more consistency come to attica and run the orange trail, It's got mud that deep. No I didn't get in that deep but at one point it was over my front bumper so I decided to back out. Check out the thread, pics will be up in a day or so.

So, is the next mod sonar? Or how about matching truck and driver snorkels? hehehe. Seriously though, all the engine sensors and even the ecu should be fine. But what about the ignition and the radio and stuff like that? Also, make sure all the carpet doesn't mildew! ewwwwwwww.........

ROTFLMAO!!

My dad used to have a '68 VW Beetle...He claimed they were so watertight that you could float them down the river, using the wheels for propulsion.

Sorry about your [mis]adventures at the Slabs. Hope your truck dries out ok...

by the way, ever wonder why I'm always hesitant to lead a trail, and usually prefer 3rd or 4th position? Now you know :).

To those who wandered why I always questioned how deep the water was and how big of the drop off, the reason was because I've seen a lot of pictures of people at the Slabs in the same situations like this one.

is16.jpg

kubben, is that a jeep cherokee or what? I can tell its not an explorer cause its got a real bumper :)

I really wanted to come out there with you guys because I had thurs and fri off of school. But that would have left me with a half day of wheelin for 2 days of driving the way you guys had it set up. So Rod, did you get those breathers we talked about installed? Make sure you change ALL the fluids if you have not done so already (both diffys, engine oil, obviously the tranny). Best of luck to you Rod and I hope everything works out for the best.

[Edited by Brian1 on 10-15-2000 at 08:22 PM]

The funny thing was, when we finally got the "submarine" out of the water we put it on a hill and let it drain Rod turned the key and the radio, six disc changer, and speakers were still working, even after being submerged for ten-fifteen minutes. "Do you have the premium or regular sound system :)" Rod your next mod will be one of those propellars that you always see hanging from trucks hitches. Maybe I will come up with a way to get this thing to really work, Then all you will need is the sonar "as mentioned above" Oh yea! The PA system still works to. Rod let me know what they say about it as soon as you know, I can help in anyway you need.

I just got home... I had a Blast. I have to say it was great to meet yall. I am Going to go Threw my Pictures to night... Oh Rod & Gerald I took some Good Video Of your Explorers on the rocks by the campsite.

Kris! Lets see those pictures. I just have to say that Kris did a great job on his 2wd to 4wd convertion. I rode with Kris pretty much all the way back to The submarine shots and we had no problem. I will be contacting Kris when I start this convertion on my 92 Exploder.

Here they are Brian Not an Many as I would have liked to have... I hope you got some Good ones on your cameras.

Dead Link Removed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by trckmagik
I think Rick needs to start a forum called "Whoops Forum" and let this be the starting picture.

trckmagik,
I Mentioned this to Rick a ways back. But nothing was ever done about. I even volunteered to be the moderator for it. oh well hopefully we will have a forum soon for "Whoops Photos"

Rod,
Sorry to hear about that sinking.... If you happen to need a drivers side window motor or a Chrome grill, I have one of both that are yours if you need them.

Back