• Register Today It's free!

tgreene92's '98 xlt build thread

tgreene92

Reaction score
City, State
south jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT x2
So i picked up another explorer from my friend for...FREE!!...he got a new car and couldn't have this parked on the street due to it not being insured. he tried selling it but wasn't going to get more than $500 so he just gave it to me. It needs some stuff but I'm hoping to have it wheel-able by the summer. it has some body damage due to getting rear ended but not worried because its going to get beat up anyway.
Here is what it needs to at least get it on the road.
Alternator
exhaust
tires-will come from my green explorer
shocks- leaking fluid
Injectors rebuilt
My pans to make it trail worthy.
3 inch body lift
tt and shackles, possibly f150 leaf pack.
31's-from my green explorer til i can afford 33's and gears.
rear locker- Aussie or lock right, not sure yet
snorkel
bumpers
relocate computer out of harms way
that's all i can think of for now but more will most likely come. I'm going to keep a tally of what this is going to cost me for reference of others and for myself, I'm a senior in high school so my budget will be sort of tight until i graduate. I also got a miller syncrowave 180 tig from my uncle, I'm practicing my welding now, hopefully i be good enough soon to make bumpers and any other little things i can think of. Here some pics. sorry for the crappy phone quality, I'll have a better camera soon.

Attachments

• ex 1.jpeg
    ex 1.jpeg
    15.2 KB · Views: 1,774
  • ex 2.jpeg
    ex 2.jpeg
    17.9 KB · Views: 1,738
  • welder.jpeg
    welder.jpeg
    11.8 KB · Views: 1,742

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

started scouring craigslist and found a used 3 inch body lift 20 mins away so i went and picked it up, total score got all blocks, drop brackets, and steering extension, as well as a tow hook for 60 bucks. its missing a few bolts but I'm pretty sure i can find them at a hardware store or possibly order them from performance accessories.

Attachments

• body lift.jpeg
    body lift.jpeg
    14.2 KB · Views: 1,708

Picked up all the body bolts, ordered them from fastenal, hard to believe no one else could get them, all 8 cost 20 bucks so the body lift only cost me 80 dollars. ill hopefully be installing this weekend with the help of 05fronty if the weather holds up. I also got the alternator in and got it running, needs a tune up for sure though. It smoked for a few minutes at start-up from what seemed to be the heads or exhaust manifold but stopped. there was a slight trace of white on the oil cap so hopefully its not a head gasket, is there any sure way to test or check if it is? I'm hoping it was just something on the exhaust manifold and that the oil color was from the few times its been off-road.

Made a lot of progress today, finally finished the body lift which took way more time than expected, also got the snorkel finished. now just have to finish the steering, i realized the intermediate shaft was shot when i went to put on the extension, and then just have to make some bumpers. ill hopefully have both finished tomorrow if the weather holds up.

Attachments

• explorer004.jpg
    explorer004.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 2,054
  • explorer009.jpg
    explorer009.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,575
  • explorer002.jpg
    explorer002.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 1,643
  • explorer001.jpg
    explorer001.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 1,621

Your the second person I know to get a completely free explorer.... I want a free explorer!

BTW, My brother has an aussie locker in his 94, and you saw first hand how well it performed.... Just sayin

Your the second person I know to get a completely free explorer.... I want a free explorer!

BTW, My brother has an aussie locker in his 94, and you saw first hand how well it performed.... Just sayin
yea it was a sweet deal it broke down around the corner from my house, so we rolled it to mine and it sat there for a few days while he decided whether he was gunna fix it or get a new car. glad he chose option B, he had it up for sale for a few weeks but it eventually got to the point where the insurance was going to cost him more than what hed get, so he just handed me the keys and title and said have fun. I probably will go with the aussie, its a little cheaper and it seems to be exactly the same as the lockright.

pretty much finished all the little odds and ends and got it driveable, still have to do the tt and shackles and make the bumpers then swap the rims and tires from my other ex. im gunna make a bumper something like the one below took some more pics and got my explorer4x4 stickers on, also did my favorite mod, ive heard of people doing but havent seen anyone on here do it, we took of my rear wiper and cut the washer fluid nozzle to shoot straight out.

Attachments

• explorer001-1.jpg
    explorer001-1.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,681
  • explorer002-1.jpg
    explorer002-1.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 1,606
  • bumper.jpg
    bumper.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 1,538
  • explorer003.jpg
    explorer003.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 1,602

that bumper is sick bro...did u make it?

nah didn't make it yet that's what I'm modeling after tho, got all the materials yesterday and am hoping to start it Sunday, i need to fill up my argon tank and get some thicker filler rods, I'm working all day Saturday so i wont get to start it til Easter Sunday. btw 05, shoot me a txt i got a new phone so i lost your number.

thx, still have to finish up the bumpers, thats just the main mount. as well as do the tt and shackles and get the 32's i scored on craigslist mounted. should have it on the streets soon, the weathers been holding me back big time.

keep up good work

must be some kind of club

must be some kind of club

not really a club, we had a wharton run a few months back with a group of explorer forum guy. I see your from nj, theres actually another Wharton state forest clean up run on may 14th. check out the thread in the off road run planning section, its titled "for those that enjoy the pinebarrens of south jersey".

not really a club, we had a wharton run a few months back with a group of explorer forum guy. I see your from nj, theres actually another Wharton state forest clean up run on may 14th. check out the thread in the off road run planning section, its titled "for those that enjoy the pinebarrens of south jersey".

cool ill try and make it!

looks good :thumbsup:...and i'm liking that rear washer mod lmfao

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

cool ill try and make it!

yea just check out the thread and keep posted about whats going on

looks good ...and i'm liking that rear washer mod lmfao

haha thx i love it too, dont dare tailgate me

Back