The 5R55E and the infamous 2-3 shift flare issue | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The 5R55E and the infamous 2-3 shift flare issue

So Glacier, since I didn't get any codes, how do I get it out of limp mode? Or when I get the transmission fluid flushed, changed and the filter changed, will it come out of limp mode, if that was the initial reason it went into it? I'm kinda confused as to how to get it back to normal at this point.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What do you think about the possibility of the 4x4 module causing the shift issues?

Very unlikely. The GEM controls operation of the transfer case, the PCM controls operation of the transmission. Also, as pointed out above, both 2wd and 4wd trucks can have the same flare issue.

Clearing the code will relieve limp mode, until the problem reoccurs.

NEWMAB just added this excellent post in the Rebuild Diary and I am adding it here as it is germane to this thread too.

"Here is a little research on the flare problem. Mine was getting considerably worse and started throwing codes. (P0735 & P0732). A local ATSG branch gave me this info along with another article I found. Hope this hasn't already been posted.
www.geocities.com/btah02@att.net/5r55eFlare.pdf
www.geocities.com/btah02@att.net/img021.pdf
www.geocities.com/btah02@att.net/img022.pdf

Ended up going with a rebuilt VB from Central Valve Bodies. Worked Great!

I'd recommend ordering one of these too."
http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...al_s/12044.htm

Glacier: Thanks for posting this!

I had the shift flare for about a year...finally changed the epc and updated bracket...problem went away totally with epc change...shifts great now...never had any od light flashing and flare never got any worse just happened more frequntly at low rpm.

mileage when flare started about 165k..mileage now 185k..

Thanks for your post and the info !

Level 10

Not sure if any one has seen the work done by Level 10 Transmissions on the 5R55E and correcting the design problems that many of us Explorer, Sport Trac owners have had. I had my solenoid pack replaced 3 years ago and the 2-3 flare was corrected. Now the flare is back along with delays 2-3 seconds
when shifting from P to R or D. My local trans shop recommends Jasper. I called Jasper customer service and they said they have corrected all the problems with the 5R55E and have improved its smoothness, longevity and durability. The warranty they offer is good to 3yrs/36 thousand miles.
The price isn't too high at $2600 for the unit plus $500 core charge. My local shop in Baltimore, Jim Jennings Transmissions can install for $3200 p&l.
With Level 10 they build the tranny and torque converter for high torque, high horse power use. Tranny price is $3400 and tc is $1400 but they only offer a 90 day warranty. Haven't called to check labor charges. Their based in NJ.

John

Level 10 is a decent company, but their expertise for making high power trannies is wasted in the 5R55E in my opinion. I'd go with Jasper.

Tranny flare

I have a 97 sport with the SOHC and my tranny makes a clunk during the
2nd-3rd shift, is that typical of the flare? I had the fluid changed and it didnt get any better. I only have 54k miles, I got it with 50k on it and i dont recall it doing it when i got it.

no, thats why i was thinking something is just screwed up in the transmission. it doesnt slip but sometimes it shifts hard on a downshift up a hill out of OD too. I think jiffy lube screwed it up because they originally underfilled it then overfilled it before getting the level right.

i have this issue on my 99 xlt and i just had the tranny rebuilt, the problem is still there, also sometimes it will flare then clunk into gear, one time the OD light started flashing even. is this something he should have fixed with the rebuild or a separate issue.

if the od light went off today would it still be stored in the system tomorrow.. thanks in advance

alright thanks, and could this be the same tranny issue if when i put the car in reverse it has a terrible sounding clunk, and multiple clunks when backing up, or could this be a transfer case or rear diff problem, i checked the u-joints and they seem to be fine.

2nd to 3rd gear flare explorer 4.0 north face 2000

Regarding the above problem of which I have read all the comments on the wb site.
Can someone explain what a VB is and EPC solenoid is
I live in SW France and have no access to friendly Ford dealers or parts

We often abbreviate a lot of common terms. The valve body of the transmission is often called a VB. The EPC is a solenoid in the VB, the most important electrical part of the 5R55E transmission. Welcome to the site.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just Cruising By.....

Happened to open this thread and thought I'd post my long term results:

I was one of the first to do the shift flare cure on my 2000 Sport, using the revised Ford separator plate kit, new EPC solenoid, bracket, and a Superior Shift Kit. Whatever I did, it cured the flare, and it's stayed cured for amost 70K miles now. (Explorer now has about 116K miles on it, flare started at about 45K miles IIRC.)

My main concern when doing this work was whether this was a long term fix for the flare or not. Apparently the fix was permanent, because it hasn't had a hesitant shift at all after several years.

Other than a leaking/blown timing cover gasket, the vehicle's been very dependable since the fix. Trans shifts great, and is due an ATF change when I can find the time.

Love this truck.
ROE

Back