• Register Today It's free!

The aftermath

damienlike

Reaction score
City, State
sellersburg, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xlt
Here's some questions for all, but first some background. 2002 Explorer XLT 4.0, just finished swapping engines due to the dreaded death rattle of the timing chains. It has taken some time to get the whole proceedure done, basically because of schedules, parts, money, you name it. So the explorer has been sitting for about two years. We finally have it back up and running, and the power steering is acting up. Has this ever happened to anybody else? The steering system was never opened during this process, so why would it act up now? Is there a way to flush the system, and would it even help?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

While there is no obvious reason for disuse to cause a problem you do have a 14 year old car. Do you have a PS fluid leak? Did you have to add fluid? Air in the system from having low fluid level can cause noise. The recommended way to get any air out is to jack up the front wheels and turn the steering lock to lock several times. If 3-4 turns does not fix it that is not the problem.

Thank you TestPoint for your response. When it was parked two years ago (yeah it's been a long process), fluid levels were fine. The PS pump was just unbolted from the engine, and set to the side with no hoses being detached. Since we got it back up and running, I have had to add fluid, which I find odd due to the fact that it didn't need any when it was parked. I know that I'm no chemical engineer, but I didn't think that PS fluid would evaporate. It is possible that air may have developed and gotten into the system, so I will try what you mentioned about going lock to lock.

Moving the pump could have gotten some air in there. Turning the wheels without the engine running will cause it too. Steering lock to lock will bleed out the air if that is it. The steering fluid doesn't evaporate. If it is low it is leaking somewhere.

Moving the pump could have gotten some air in there. Turning the wheels without the engine running will cause it too. Steering lock to lock will bleed out the air if that is it. The steering fluid doesn't evaporate. If it is low it is leaking somewhere.
I believe that is what had to happen. Since it's been running it has returned to normal. Now to recharge the AC.

Back