The Average Life on the motor | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Average Life on the motor

Touareg has that the suspension is wicked! it moves the damn truck up and down like 5" total, at highest 11" of ground clearance down the center of the chasis

The lockers go something like this: It is full time AWD, but then in 4 Hi it has a T case locker so its now 50/50 biast front/rear instead of wheel that slips, wheel that grips awd. Then it has the other option which is to also lock up the rear differnetial, not sure if it is a electric solenoid activated do-dad or neumatic. This can be done in 4 hi or 4 low.

This thing will seriously go pretty damn good off road, but I have yet to get it into a sticky situation seeing as how it costs like $56K.....the SUV drives like a car, but it feels German for sure (heavy, sure-footed). It has odd suspension functions that take some getting used to. The suspension will fight body roll and you can feel when it happens and it really dives into the corners. It is so funny to drive something like this after 10 years of DD a lifted 88, talk about night and day!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We have a 1991 which I ordered brand new in the spring of 1990. It's got just under 400,000 km and other than the lifter noise has been a great truck.

I had to replace a starter solenoid recently but other than that I have done 1 clutch at 220,000 km (yes it is a 5 spd) the exhaust system last year as well as the radiator. The starter motor once at 200,000 and the transfer case motor. Got hosed by the dealer on that one, this summer I'll have to fix it again but will do it myself. Replaced the auto locking hubs with warn manual locking hubs 5 years ago.

I ordered it before they were actually on the dealers lot so I went down the options list and picked everything I wanted at the time sight unseen. I didn't like the look of the Eddie Bauer wheels so I ordered an XLT and deleted the two tone paint on the order.

Got the following 'extras',
-manual sunroof
-power windows
-power doors
-sport seats with pwr lumbar and cushion adjustments
-premium sound AM/FM/Cass with subwoofer
-5 spd manual transmission
-trailer towing package with trailer wiring harness
-air

Not too many complaints given the amount of use we've had, it has rust in all the common spots including the seam under the rear passenger doors and the hood and roof have the paint delaminating but then it is dark grey and this is the original paint. Hood and both front fenders are rusting out along the bottoms but floor is solid.

Wish I had gone for the manual transfer case instead of the electronic though I think mine is suffering from the common problem with the stopper flattening out as it is intermittant.

Should have installed a bug deflector day one as that might have saved the hood.

The premium sound system doesn't seem to want to be cranked up too loud at least not to the distortion levels of the premium sound system in my Turbo T-bird. Plus the radio keeps crapping out so one day I will replace it with a CD head unit.

Fact sunroof is ok, the removable sunscreen is a PITA to deal with though vs ones that slide into the roof.

But the truck owes us nothing, it's been across Canada twice, through most of the States multiple times and the 5 spd was pretty decent on gas.

Should NEVER have allowed Mr Lube to do an engine flush at 250,000 km as that seems to have precipitated the lifter noise!

Kevin

I kinda whip the GT hard. Not abusive, but I'd say a bit harder than most people do.

I attempted to race an Eclipse GST but the dude was too pussy :p

193,000 and going strong (if I can figure out a minor fuel pump intermittant). Rebuilt the Exploder tranny at about 165,000, but that's because I hauled heavy and hard on it since the beginning. Even that failure didn't warrant a complete rebuilt, but it deserved it. Burns no oil, leaks a bit of coolant in the heater core, all mostly maintenance items. The general engine/block/innards are of no concern. I'm betting on 300K before it's too weak to continue. They are so poorly aspirated I don't think they can destroy themselves - and have huge performance enhancement potential. Best V-6 on the road, IMHO :D

190k, the only thing i havent replaced is the motor, and the t-case... but that will all change soon :fire:

Between my two Explorers, I think I have replaced everything but the motors

Craig, replace the Relay under the Fuses. That was my issue when I first bought my 'X'. Actually the intermittent 'No Start' is why the guy was selling it.
It happened to me twice, I replaced the Relay...it's been 3 years without that problem

You need to worry about your tranny not the motor my 4.0 has 120,000 but i know somebody with 350k and running strong also another factor is the body condidtion

140K no lifter noise, no oil leaks. The oil is amber for the first 1000 miles after changing and burns less than 1/2 qt by 3000 miles. I recently lost a lot of power when my tranny fluid disappeared. Started pinging like crazy. Replaced the vacuum modulator valve and replaced the fouled plugs and bam! back on the road - no pinging anymore. I got it cheap cuz the mechanic PO I got it from couldn't figure out what the problem was with the tranny fluid. - sucker.

I have 230K on mine so I was concerned about Timing Chain replacement.
My Volvo has 260K on it but I do the Timing Belt every 40k miles and my Chevy pickup has 270K on it and I did the Chain at 130K. But that was the stock Nylon one.

The rest of the engine is fine after playing with the notorious Intake manifold leak.

Very Small oil seaping on Drivers side , I think it's the oil Level or oil pressure sendor.

This was always a comuter vehicle and it's on it's third trani.

Mileage

94 XLT 4 x 4:exp:.....almost 184,000 miles. I love my X!

I sold her in 2007 but she had a small rear main seal leak about a quart every 3000 miles and 263,000 mi on the clock and was able to sell for 2200, And thats original Automatic Trans as well! All highway miles Excellent looking interior and exterior still shiny due to consistent washes

about 360k on a 1993 sport with the orignal motor with minor work done to it and compression within factory spec still(checked 1 month ago).

I have ELEVENTY BILLION miles on mine... with factory plugs and wires.. and oil. :D

Oh, eleventy billion = 205k

I just bought a 94 eb explorer with 160k for $500
If i can push it to 200k i get my moneys worth
Actually the new tires it came with cover the cost of the vehicle

Back