The Average Life on the motor | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Average Life on the motor

the 4.0 are bullet proff change the oil and drive on

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know of a 93 xlt with 540,000 km's (325,000miles) on it. Runs fine still. The motor will outlive the body for sure

my `93 has over 161,000 ,, lifters tic like a room full of sewing machines when it`s first started up , still has the original alt that whines pretty loud when it`s cold outside, oh , and the oil leaks , it`s got a few of those , but otherwise a good running truck !! the gas mileage is a whole different story ,,,too bad that didnt get better with age !!!

'91 sport 165,000 original engine & trans, small oil leaks, lifter noise in the morning

I just bought a 94' Sport with a 5sp - 129,000 miles on it. It runs great, haven't had any problems with it yet. I think the ball joints and the slave cylinder will need to be replaced after awhile though cause the front end clunks and the clutch is pretty hard to push. But for $1,750 I cant complain its in really good shape.

I had a 00' Ranger with the same motor a pushrod 4.0 - had to sell it cause it was costing me too much on payments and insurance. I will defintely agree the 4.0 is a solid engine.

I'm at 215,000 and runs like a champ. Obviously a little tired on a long drive upgrade, but I'd say it is doing JUST fine.

working on 235,000 alot of pinging but takes the abuse original everything

Still running strong at 208,000. 1992 Sport 5-speed. 20 mpg. Insurance is cheap and it gets me out of trouble in Winter time. Just can't let go yet.

A question related to high mileage. I got 233000 on my '91. The Timing Chain sounds quiet as a mouse. I guess they have a tensioner in these motors. That being said, the chain must still be stretching. Do you guys change the Chain at some mileag interval?? I know I have always changed my GM Chains at 100000 before the nylon Cam gear sh*t the bed.

You are due for alot of things including a timing set, but at this point you might just keep going :) 300,000 miles has been done on the 4.0L more than once.
Your lifters pushrods, rockers, and well anything else inside that engine that moves is wearing out and likely already worn out beyond what would be cosidered acceptable for a rebuild.

yes your chain has stretch and yes the plastic tension is likely on its last legs.
it could last till tomorrow it could last another 10 years. there is no way to be sure.

Honda recommends a new timing set at 100K miles for their cars. How many Honda's not under the dealer service plan/extended warranty do you think actually get a new timing set at 100K? like 5% might get the servie performed.

How many Honda's do you see go for 300K miles before something serious happens? LOTS OF THEM.

the OHV 4.0L is the Honda engine of the ford family. It is a WORKHORSE and they go for a long long long long time with little maintenence.

Thanks. I'm very good with maintaining my vehicles but the P.O. not so much I fear. Having said that, When I did the lower intake manifold a month or so back, The Rockers and valve covers were so clean and free of gack, it was scary. So maybe I'll be OK for a while.
Are these intereference engines?

I see your email is at tdipower.com. Which of your vehicles is a TDI? I had a 2000 Golf TDI.

Touareg :D That's something I'd give up my Explorers for

my mom has a 05 Touareg V8 and let me just say WOW what a vehicle.
Ditch it after 60-80K miles though, I can only IMAGINE the nightmare once electrical gremlins take hold of that thing.

Rick you had nothing but problems with that TDI didn't you?

Sorry Rick. TDIPOWER.
That's is where I work Transistor Devices inc.

We design Power Supplies.
I an Electrical/mechanical designer which means I take a mess of components along with a half a$$ed schematic and I have to design a printed circuit board and the sheetmetal to turn the mess into a product.

LOL, ok. I'm always thinking automotive and TDIPOWER sounded like a diesel site :D

No sweat.
Whenever I order Car parts on-line. (usually get my Volvo parts on-line) I get the same deal They see the address and assume I am a business not a DIY'er.

I'll stop being off topic...

But that flippin 5.0L twin turbo V10 diesel in the Touareg is crazy. Probably would blow out my mom's Hemi Durango

the Porsche Cyenne has what 460 hp? 0-60 in 5.2?

My Mom's toareg has two air boxes, two MAS sensors, and two throttle bodies. I assume this is where Porsche put the turbo's? I dunno....

I have yet to see the V-10 Touareg :)

The v8 has PLENTY of get up and go....I get some crazy looks when I drive it too, people look at me like "damn spoiled rich kid" hey people I am 32!! hahahaha I jsut look young.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Plus, it's got lockers and some crazy automatic suspension that'll give it 11 inches of clearance

Back