The BFG A/T Mystery | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The BFG A/T Mystery

I've needed new tires for a while now, and up until yesterday I believed that the only obstacle would be raising the money. I went down to one of a few local costcos where they are doing a promotion 'till the 12th on almost all Michellin and BF Goodrich tires. I told them the tire I wanted (BFG A/T 31x10.5x15), which was included in the promotion, and they told me that they could not do it for my make and model. Costco in particular will not mount a larger tire than factory size because of a lawsuit a few years back. What's more is the guy who I talked to said that costco could be in another lawsuit if I were to get in an accident with this tire if they installed it. Assuming the accident was remotely my fault and the person I hit has a good lawyer, they could in fact sue costco for putting the wrong tire on my car. So I called a different costco, who at first said they could do it but it would be in metric (235), which is fine with me. But when I asked if it was in stock the guy found out that it comes down to how the tires are rated. Apparently they can put on a "P" rated tire but not an "LT", which is what the A/T is rated at. Bottom line is, I am being denied a good BF Goodrich tire and I get the feeling there's something going on here beneath the surface. We're talking about tires, not controlled substances, so what's the deal? Does this have anything to do with the recall? What do I need to do to get a decent off road tire on my truck? The Michellin and Goodyears they're trying to offer me aren't going to last a minute on the hell I'm going to put them through.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wow, they weren't hesitant at all? And does anyone know the real risk of being in an accident with the "wrong" tire? I'd like to think that the accident scenario is just one of the lines costco feeds its customers to cover all the bases and keep the customer from leaving

Dude! Whats the big deal?:scratch: If your going to worry about "what if", just shop somewhere else that will give you a warranty, you will sleep better knowing you wont be liable "if" your tire is the cause of a wreck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why are you only going for 31's? I have 32" tyres (OK, 31.6" to be exact) on my explorer, and the ride is better and handling is about the same as stock. in Oz, you are legally allowed to go up 2" in diameter on a 4WD (but only 3/4" on a passenger car).

Welllll, as much as I'd like to, I don't think anything bigger than a 31 will fit on stock suspension with only a 1" tt in the front and nothing in the back. Not to mention it would be that much more expensive and I'm skating by being able to afford the 31's. And if I'm that poor to begin with the gas mileage would be that much worse and therefore harder to afford.

I meant if it was such a concern, I don't think everyone on this site would have them. Don't worry about an accident with the wrong tire.

Oooooh haha alright. Yeah that's why I was going nuts when I kept getting the cold shoulder from costco, thinking of alllllll the rigs on here sporting much meatier tires than a BFG A/T's

Dude! Whats the big deal?:scratch: If your going to worry about "what if", just shop somewhere else that will give you a warranty, you will sleep better knowing you wont be liable "if" your tire is the cause of a wreck.

Yeah you guys are right, I think I'm making snakes outta ropes on this one... I just coined that phrase and you heard it here first ;)

No matter what, if you crash, the other party will go after your insurance company, not you personally - typically. Don't be afraid to enhance your vehicle because of what others might want to do - sue - If they want to sue, they'll find a reason - tell them to ef off :) Get 38s if you can - j/k. I had the same fears you have, but I realized that for every lawsuit there's a counter suit - if needed.

No matter what, if you crash, the other party will go after your insurance company, not you personally - typically.
That is normally the case, HOWEVER if you do not carry enough liability insurance, then if the settlement is more than your liability insurance, you will be required to fork over the balance.

Sam's here will not upsize your tires. They will not sell you the tires unless they mount them, for their insurance reasons. your best bet is to find some small local outfit who will do anything to put some money in the bank.

I hit a guy when I had 33's on my Ramcharger. All he was concerned with was getting my brushguard out of his saturn's trunklid, couldnt care less that I had big tires.

Sams club has the best prices for tires in my area. I get all my mud tires there, and let them install them on loose rims. If they ask they are for a J**P or Ranger.

Typically...

That is normally the case, HOWEVER if you do not carry enough liability insurance, then if the settlement is more than your liability insurance, you will be required to fork over the balance.

That's correct... that's also why "typically" was thrown in. :thumbsup:

Correct. Stores aren't worried about the person you hit suing them. They're worried about YOU suing them.

You could either just take a set of rims and have them mount them off the vehicle or find a place that is friendly to modified vehicles.

I work at BJ's Wholesale (like costco just pays worse:rolleyes:) in the tire installation department. There is no reason that you should have been denied a 31" tire. Especially since the stock 235/75 is 29". i can't really think of any trucks off hand that aren't factory street trucks that don't have enough room for 2 inches... the only thing i won't do is i won't put two different sized tires on a 4x4 cus people are stupid and they will mess up their t-case. and if people want ridiculous sized tires we just make them sign off on it thus releasing us of any responsibility. altho just an insite.. if i really don't want to work that day i may make up excuses about why i can't do stuff.. but those are normally only to unkind..... customers.. so more then likely you just picked a *****y install place and i would steer clear of them. because if what he was saying was true... it would be a Nation wide thing.. not just that one store.

Yes, they give me problems with the BFG's and my Pirelli's all the time. I have 17" 275 Pirelli's and the 16" BGF TKO's over sized.

They put them on in 1997 and they worked great go to get some more in 2004 they said no way.

I have U-haul trailer hitch on my 1995 EB and they refuse to rent me a trailer now because of the law suits. Even though they never had a problem with it until 2000 scandal.

All I can say is that they are losing a lot of business because of the issue.

I just take my wheels in and ask them to change them out. They ask what car the tires are going on I tell them a 1978 Sand Reaper!

I've been denied tires at both Costcos and Sears for the same reasons above. As mentioned by others I just drop off my rims and they happily mount and balance anything I want. With the loose rims they don't ask what vehicle the tires are going on they just install them. Obviously the last thing you want to do is mention you are putting them on an Explorer or they may refuse to sell them to you for all the legal BS going around. My last set of BFG AT KOs 33x12.5 were purchased @ Sears and I have their road hazard warranty. It has come in handy as they have remounted 2 of them in the past year due to bead issues running low 7psi offroad.

Back