BFG A/T KO vs. BFG M/T | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BFG A/T KO vs. BFG M/T

I'm replacing my set of TSL-SX's with a tire that will last a little longer, have better wear characteristics, and not cost too much $$$. I have been told by THUNDERHORSE that the BFG AT KO is hard to beat. He swears by these tires! But, I frequently hit the rocky trails of Joshua Tree, Anza Borrego/Truckhaven, and I rack up major freeway miles in the process.
Would the A/T combined with a front locker do the trick? Or, should I stick with a tire with heftier lugs? I read the article put out by 4Wheel and Off Road about the All-
Terrain vs. Mud-Terrain (3/99), and they said the only area the All Terrain was inferior was with regard to mud (obvious). Does anyone have any good testimonials and advice? Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have never owned KO's, but I love my MT"s and they are awesome on the trail. They are a bit louder than the KO and ride a bit rougher on the highway. you should expect about 40K with a set of MT's. I am not sure of the mileage on the KO.

Here's a little something on each tire from the catalog:

A/T KO
An excellent highway tire that gives a great ride and excellent wear. Very quiet, yet excellent for light duty off-roading, the All-Terrain features a 3-ply TriGuard carcass with 2 full width steel belts.

MT
An excellent tire for the driver who needs great off-road traction, but still wants a good wearing, long mileage street tire. The Mud Terrain features a 3-ply carcass, dual compound tread and 2 full width steel belts.

The other month in one of the 4X mags, I saw a small mention that the redesigned BFG Mud-Terrains would be released soon. They will have better sidewall lugs, ala the All-Terrain, and siping on the center lugs, ala the ProComp mud tire.

These MT's are even supposed to come in assorted colors too.
I remember having blue tires on my BMX bike, so it's about time I can have tires
in another color than Black. My thought is that the MT will conquer the rocks better
than the A/T. I once went to Rockhouse Canyon with two other rigs. The miniBlazer ZR2
had BFG AT's and it needed its ARB to get over even the smallest obstacles, and the
'85 Toy 4 Runner had the MT's and with its front and rear lockers, it made small work
of the piles of boulders in this canyon. When the truck got twisted and sideways, the
sidewalls didn't even flinch. The traction here convinced me that the MT's were the
way to go. I just don't want to keep replacing tires every 2 years.

Ken,
It sounds like AT's are the smart choice for you, but MT's are what you really want. I was in the same spot, lots of freeway miles but wanting a great trail tire. Go with two sets of tires, and get the best of both worlds.

Bill is right on the money!

I agree with Bill.
The best solution is two sets of tires.
I went with the Dunlop Radial Rover ATs in size 285/75R16 for the street and trail running. I have the Mickey Thompson Baja Belted tires for use in the gnarly stuff. The Mickeys wear too fast on the street and are LOUD, but I love them in the dirt. The Dunlops were pretty inexpensive and they ride nicely both on and off road. They've handled some pretty good rocky climbs (in 2wd!) with my rear locker that I could not get up previously with the Mickeys with no rear locker. Very happy with them.
Rick

NEW bfg mt's

where can i find out about the "new" design for the bfg mt's. i would rather wait and buy the new ones or, maybe, wait and pick up some old models for less -- anyone with info please reply.

thanks in advance

bobby

Back