BFG A/T KO's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BFG A/T KO's

What does the "KO" stand for? I've been to the BFG site and there is no info on it (that I could find).

Also, Where is a good place to get the tires? Since they have a fixed price for these tires I'm more concerned about service. I've used Sears and Tires Plus in the past, and it's been my experience that they are out to suck your checkbook dry. They run the total bill up with overpriced extras, and recommend some other bogus repair just to get more of your money. Someone in another post mentioned Sam's Club. Does anyone have experience with them? Can you get the tires you want, or do you have to take what they have in stock?
Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've used National Tire and Battery (NTB) and been very satisfied with their work. I also like that fact that you get free rotations and balancing.

Believe it or not, NTB is owned by Sears. Go figure.

Anyways, I'm supposed to get new tires in a week & a half...I'll probably go to NTB.

[Edited by FlyAU on 08-01-2000 at 09:14 AM]

Just a suggestion, consider buying the road hazard warranty. I bought a set of 32x11.5x15 KOs back in November. Recently, my Explorer was pulling to the right side so I took it to the shop to have it aligned. After the alignment, and driving it for a week it was still pulling to the right so they put it back on the rack to check the alignment, the alignment was fine, so they switched it to the left side and it now pulls to the left. Their conclusion was the tire was defective and replaced it for me for free. Now it steers straight.

Consider the entire package instead of the price of just the tires: new valves, mounting, balancing, rotation, road hazard, etc. (all mine was lifetime, total was about $560). Got mine at Winston Tires. Service is definitely a major factor. Don't go to a shop that is extremely busy, chances are they are rushing through the jobs and you're just another number.

Just thought you may be interested in the positive side of road hazard warranty.

Although I do not know what the KO stands for I do know what it is. The KO is some extra rubber around the bead of the tire on the outside designed to help protect the rim from being scraped and so on. The week I had mine put on I did cut the extra rubber and scraped my stock alloy rim. So it is not too useful but I guess it helps some.

KO = Knock Out

ExploderOne-

KO stands for Knock Out. Which refers to the interlocking "knocked out" tread pattern.

Where to buy them? It really doesn't matter because BFG pre-sets the price on them. Go to their tire website and you will get a list of prices. When you shop around you may see $5-$20 higher prices because these guys overmark them somewhat.
My tire cost $162 (set by BFG) but I paid $167 because I wanted them pronto. Just make sure you don't get screwed too bad.

I put my set on a few weeks ago and really love them. I had heard that they may have a little slip in the rain but we just got some major rain here in the past few days and I pushed the tires big time. Over the two days, I only hydroplaned for a few inches and that was when cornering about 35-40 MPH in heavy rain. I'm really impressed. Can't wait until it snows :)

T-Bone

Re: KO = Knock Out

Originally posted by T-Bone
ExploderOne-

....I had heard that they may have a little slip in the rain.....

T-Bone

Where'd you hear that? These tires are just about the best NON-hydroplaning tires I've ever used. Considering the large size I have, I would have thought they'd be terrible hydroplaners just based on the huge amount of rubber on the contact patch. But I can't make them hydroplane even when I try.

I wouldn't hesitate one second to recommend them to anybody for any application.

Gerald-

I thought I read a thread somewhere or heard from someone at a tire store. Don't quite remember. Anyway, from what I wrote before, I'm convinced its not true anyway.
I really love these tires!

T-Bone

The gods have smiled upon me ...

What better way to have the purchase of my BFG ATs justified in the eyes of my wife. A few weeks ago I would get the furrowed brow and the disapproving glare at the mention of my new and expensive tires. I only had 3,000 miles on the Firestones but didn't want them on, I hate them. Now, after these Firestone horror stories breaking in the papers, she is singing a different tune! "That was a good idea", she says. My timing is impeccable! ;)

T-Bone

National Tire and Battery does have good prices i got a quote of 120 bucks per tire for 32x11.5 BFG A/T but i got the tires put on where my lift was put on and they gave me a quote of 113 a tire or 99 for 31x10.5. TYhis place was very helpful and have great service they are called we do trucks they havea website so you could see if one was close to you http://www.wedotrucks.com

Back