The MUTINEER | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The MUTINEER

104_2006.JPG
FirstFlex4.jpg
FirstFlex1.jpg
FirstFlex3.jpg
I just realized I never registered mine...

D44 Ft
D60 Rr with disc brakes
Leaves front and rear
35 in Swampers and 5:13 gears
BW4406 Tcase

thanks to all the people on this site that helped, Couldnt have done it without this site.

Still working on perfecting it, needs the cage and bumpers finished...but here it is:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have looked at a couple of your posts never realized how high it sits NICE RIG keep up the good work...

I have looked at a couple of your posts never realized how high it sits NICE RIG keep up the good work...

Thanks!

The plan is for 38s or 40s... right now they are 35s.

in retrospect, I would have used a different steering box, the one from a '78 F250 doesnt turn far enough.

I've been watching this since you had IFS... you've done a great job on this project.. Very nice truck.

Yeah i wanna see the bigger tires that thing already is a beast..i cant wait to get my hands on some extra cash to buy another ex or mounty to start a project mine is a DD right now so cant go too crazy but I SHALL have a big boy toy of my own.

Lemme ask u something in that first pic with the truck in front of the garage i had to really look at it carefully it looks like the roof and back hatch is taken off it looks like it fits the truck. Just camera tricks i guess

^^^ yeah looks like a convertible to me in the first picture ;):thumbsup::confused:

Hmm.... this is odd and different?... Removable rear? It's like an easter egg.. lol..

Yeah I chopped the top and going to buld a full cage. Im making a custom cover from Army Tent canvas. Thats the vague plan, Details will come as they come.

The idea is a fully capable trail rig, ready for anything and any terrain. having the top gone will help in sevaral ways to include visibility, gear storage, and center of gravity.

But for now its just a cut up Mountaineer with an SAS...lol

Thanks Yall.

how come you have no front drive shaft? is the angle bad and keeps chewing u-joints like candy?

how come you have no front drive shaft? is the angle bad and keeps chewing u-joints like candy?

I havent installed the BW4406 yet, and when I do the transmission crossmember will have to be modified to make it work.

The driveline angle is not that bad, and should be just fine.

Wait wait wait... so you're driving that beast with AWD? How is it?

Wait wait wait... so you're driving that beast with AWD? How is it?

Well its just rear wheel drive for now. I haven't installed the 5:13 gears in the rear yet. Hopefully that and the t-case will get done this or next month.

I just realized I never registered mine...

D44 Ft
D60 Rr with disc brakes
Leaves front and rear
35 in Swampers and 5:13 gears
BW4406 Tcase

thanks to all the people on this site that helped, Couldnt have done it without this site.

Still working on perfecting it, needs the cage and bumpers finished...but here it is:

hells yes ty i havent been on here in awhile n this is what i find i got one just like it and i wanted a coilover setup but that looks just as effective n a lil more flexible than i thought nice rig !

I am guessing the front axle came out of a 78-79 F250? What can you tell me about your steering setup?

Damn those shackles would scare the crap out of me, way too long and to me unsafe.

Wow I miss this bad boy.

Sorry I just left yall hanging. I had to let her go awhile back when my job went end of contract... worst day of my life. Hard to get back into the saddle, just surviving.

I have a new project now and hopefully will get it this far.

SkyJumper,

The shackles werent unsafe. I was using them on an off road vehicle as an intended point of weakness, (weak link in the chain) if something happened the shackles would bend first, showing out in alignment, or showing in after action inspection. I used the same system on two different Blazers, and every time something crazy happened an inspection after the run would show a torqued shackle, and it cost about 16 bucks a set to replace them (carried 4 spares at all times). It really helped with the steering box ripping off the frame, and saved front end parts left and right. they flexed well, and the length helped with driveline angle as the axle dropped. The system was never intended to support extended on road or daily driven use, and took ALOT of abuse with no issues whatsoever.

:salute:

Back