The rear diff filler bolt is WHERE?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The rear diff filler bolt is WHERE??

DarkMan

Elite Idiot Stocker
Reaction score
City, State
DFW, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 Taco TRD/OR
I got great answers when I asked about re-sealing the rear diff cover. Thanks to all.

But now that I've been under the truck, and can't even find the filler bolt!! I've searched around the forum and figured out, to my dismay, that the filler bolt faces the gas tank. There's very little room back there (and until I get some good jack stands, not much room under the axle).

All the tips about using hose on the bottle where great, but how about some tips on getting to the filler hole in the first place?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i sat under the truck and reached around the diff and put the hose in from the back. wasn't very hard to do. the lift helped me have room to sit upright... but it wasn't that hard to do. good luck!

I just got done changing the fluid. I jacked it up and used jackstands on the frame, so the suspension would hang. It is also a square bolt. I used a 3/8in. ratchet extension to get the bolt out. To fill the diff., I used a piece of hose I had laying around. Hopefully this will help you out.

I would highly recommend investing in a $10 pump/vacuum from AutoZone. The first time I did it without and ended up laying in about a quart of gear lube before it was over. Gear lube stinks and you cannot get it out of clothes. The 2nd time I bought the pump and it was much easier.

Thanks much!

I got some good jack stands and that made all the difference. The axle drooped enough to get the filler hole pretty easy. I pulled the diff cover (needed reseal). It's curing now. Only problem is that I sheered one bolt when putting the cover back on. (I wasn't even torquing it hard!) It's the bolt with the axle tag, in about the 1 o'clock position. I figure I'll be okay with just that one missing until I can get the tools to remove the treaded part. I'll be filling the axle in the morning.

Thanks again for all your help.

Back