There wont be a new GT 40

leenjen

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
in the poconos, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport
since ford was unable to buy the rights to the GT40 name, they said the new concept vehicle wont be called the GT 40.

has anyone heard anything about what they are going to call it? i first heard about this on CNN about two weeks ago. and i was watching a show on the speed channel the other night and they said it too. but i cant find any info on the net. i tried a search on this site to see if anyone posted anything.

is there any news on this. are they still going to make the car? it sucks that they cant bring back the GT40 name.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just read about that this weekend, I think in the newspaper. It said the name will be just GT. The company that owns the name wants a HUGE pile'o'money for the GT-40 rights.

Why not just call it the GT-39. Isn't it 39"H anyway now, not the original 40? I heard that somewhere, it's hearsay.

they wanted 40 million to let them use GT40 so it will be the GT. They arent gonna call it the GT 39 since its a throw back to the original

i didnt realize that 40 meant 40" height.

the GT 90 definitely isnt 90" :)

Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed

Dumb question: what company has the GT40 rights and why isn't it Ford?

Okay then I want a GT39. Why wouldnt it be 41? is it 39" tall?

I cant wait to see these bad boys hit the streets....

they should call it the GT 50. 50 is better then 40, right?;)

Nissan did it with the Z cars (240, 280, 300 and now 350).

The smart guys at Ford never copyrighted GT40, some company was making GT40 parts in the 80s, realized it wasnt copyrighted so they jumped on it

And since the original name wasn't officially "GT40", no one thought to copyright it. The original was named the GT, but gained the nickname "GT40" because of it's height. I believe the GT90 concept was done it 1990...

I was surprised at the volumes planned for the Ford GT--something in the neighborhood of 500-750/year (aside from the next year which will only see 3). The announcement on the engine is a 5.4 modular with supercharger.

Originally posted by blichy
And since the original name wasn't officially "GT40", no one thought to copyright it. The original was named the GT, but gained the nickname "GT40" because of it's height. I believe the GT90 concept was done it 1990...

I was surprised at the volumes planned for the Ford GT--something in the neighborhood of 500-750/year (aside from the next year which will only see 3). The announcement on the engine is a 5.4 modular with supercharger.
So a Lightning engine in a real racing car body :eek: Damn that's going to be nice :D And screw you stupid company for not giving up the name. If they sold GT40 parts, they should want to respect the car and let Ford build a a successor to it.

I bet there's more too it. Ford probably won't license the companies aftermarket replacement parts for the new GT for less than 40 million.

Back