Things that help fuel economy and performance. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

An electric motor could never possibly move enough air to matter. It’d take a HUGE amount of amperage to run, and the motor would be so big it’d not fit anywhere.

That scoop looks dangerous to me in a heavily puddled environment. In PA and OH you’d likely submerge that puppy in water in the spring.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why are we talking gen 3 in a gen 1 subforum anyway?

An electric motor could never possibly move enough air to matter. It’d take a HUGE amount of amperage to run, and the motor would be so big it’d not fit anywhere.

That scoop looks dangerous to me in a heavily puddled environment. In PA and OH you’d likely submerge that puppy in water in the spring.

no issues, you haven't seen them on the Dodge Ram and Chevy's. The Ford Explorer isn't on the radar, engines, etc, but IIRC the Chevy colorado snorkel can be slightly modified to fit into the bottom of the existing air box, so your effective air intake x section goes from 2 to 4 sq inches, the air box has a drain, Michigan has more water than PA. Ford did great testing back int he day for water fording so no issues.

I’ve never seen a factory air intake so open and so low. Not saying it doesn’t happen, I’ve just never noticed it. I’d would have certainly cut it into the airdam, though.

Not sure where you come up with Michigan having more water than PA, I’m sure the rain and snow melt in most of PA is just as much. I’m certain in the spring you’d either submerge that, or have to find other ways around.

First you don’t close off the original opening so if it was plugged you always have air

Second there are thousands of these out there on Ram and Colorado proven
Third it’s always cloudy rainy here and this isn’t the limiting factor

If your vehicle hasn’t shut down in deep water you don’t know what deep water is. Air scoop isn’t the issue at all to deep water

And I put this in to see if it really made a difference...It does not. Maybe if the X had 300hp versus stock 153 it would

so it can come out and yes if it was any good off the bat moving it into the air dam looks better

If it was a dusty desert a cowl mod with a huge amount of cutting can be done and you make a hood or fender snorkel

“Always cloudy and rainy” is hardly any proof of more water. Pennsylvania gets more precipitation on average by a fair margin.

If you aren’t intellegent enough to fathom what deep water is just because you haven’t hydrolocked or flooded your electronics you probably still eat the paste and sniff markers.

Oh, and your horsepower rating is about 60 off as well.

Lol, you weren’t insulted.

apparently i got 15.7mpg going over a mountain pass?
still havent tested a full tank as its technically not insured...

120km (74miles) to 1/4 tank with maybe hard accelerations? (3krpm) and then up and down a mountain pass and back mainly doing 90km/h (55mph) up at 3k rpm.

seems pretty par for the course to me.

3k isn’t what I’d call hard acceleration.

Although, I’d say, 15s in the mountains is pretty good in any circumstance, unless you were strictly coming down. My Mounty seems to get 15-16 no matter where or how you drive.

It is on an OHV when you are doing it for a long time, say climbing a mountain. The OHV makes its most torque between 2500-3500, max HP around 4200. I try to keep my shifts around 2500. Only exception is when I'm getting up to speed on a highway, then I climb to 3000, but only for a few seconds, then I drop into 5th. Then again I have 3.73's and 31's and I live in Houston where climbing an overpass is the only time you get above sea level, :D

Ive been driving a 2004 Sentra with no Tach for 4 years lol
I cant remember what these vehicles are supposed to drive like lol

(I learned to drive on a 94 XLT)

It doesn’t hurt to not fully wind it out, of course. :)

It doesn’t hurt to not fully wind it out, of course. :)
No it doesn't. I have pushed 90 in that rig with the tach pegged a 4k in 4th gear. Surprising stable... :D

Mostly I shift at that RPM for gas mileage.

that's only about ten over normal cruising speed around here!

that's only about ten over normal cruising speed around here!
Yeahhh, if I was in my 5.7 Hemi Ram, I'd blow some doors off, but not in a lifted first gen. :crazy:

You’ll have to forgive me for the partial thread-jack, but 15 in the mountains? Is that up and then down average?
My X is getting about 10 right now. Seems to be the same if I waste a tank in town or use the hole thing traveling toward the coast. I think it’s in serious need of a tune up. It also acts like it’s always warm. Doesn’t high-idle when it’s cold. It feels like it has a bit of a power issue but I haven’t decided if that’s because my last one was a 5 speed and this one is an auto or not.

You definitely have an issue. When’s the last time you did plugs/wires/filters?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You’ll have to forgive me for the partial thread-jack, but 15 in the mountains? Is that up and then down average?
My X is getting about 10 right now. Seems to be the same if I waste a tank in town or use the hole thing traveling toward the coast. I think it’s in serious need of a tune up. It also acts like it’s always warm. Doesn’t high-idle when it’s cold. It feels like it has a bit of a power issue but I haven’t decided if that’s because my last one was a 5 speed and this one is an auto or not.

By the way, welcome to the Forum.

I would do Wires and Plugs, New Fuel Filter and Clean your Mass Airflow Sensor.

Back