Thinking of upgrading my 2009 Ford Explorer Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thinking of upgrading my 2009 Ford Explorer Sport

Todd82TA

Reaction score
City, State
South Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport 4x2
Hey guys... I really like my 2009... it's a fantastic car, I even love the color. But I want more. It's only a 4.0 SOHC with rear wheel drive... I'm thinking of installing 4x4 hardware, and sourcing the 4.6 3v V8 as well. I really don't know a lot about these cars, but my thought was that I'd simply buy a donor vehicle that already had the 4.6 and 4x4, and simply swap parts over. Anything that wasn't 100% perfect, I'd either replace or rebuild. Anyone ever done this?

I've done similar things, like swapping out a 3-Speed automatic to a 5-Speed manual in my Fiero (by buying a donor car that already had what I needed), and I've swapped engines in plenty of different cars before, so that kind of stuff isn't too hard.

Just looking for some advice from people who have done it.

Some additional questions:

- I noticed that some 2007-2010 Ford Explorers had a 6-Speed automatic? Mine has the 5r55 / 5-Speed automatic. Is one better than the other? My inclination is that the 6-Speed is obviously better (better fuel economy, quicker acceleration, better gearing). Is there a reason why the 5 or 6 speed seems to be intermittently spread over the years? Was it an upgrade, or did it only come with certain options?

- Is the 4.6 3v a significant upgrade to the 4.0L? I'm not looking to drag-race anyone. But would like a good ~7-second 0-60 or quicker. I also want the better fuel economy that I get from better low-end performance.

I assume there's some other odds and ends I can do to improve the "stock" horsepower of the 4.6 anyway... like an ECM reflash w/ 80mm MAF, etc.

Thanks!!!

This is my Explorer:

2009_ford-explorer-sport-jpg.jpg

For the amount of time and effort involved, as well as the cost of the engine, trans, harnesses etc you would probably be better off selling yours and finding the model you really want.

Back