expo5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Red Wing, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt
a few questions-

is anyone on this site bagged? (i don't know of anyone if there is)

do you think its possible to tow a 5,000 lb boat all of the time with a bagged explorer?

if yes, just how far beyond the basic set-up do i need to go so that towing isn't an issue? my entire build up to this point has been with the functionality of my truck in mind, and things need to stay that way. from what i've heard and read there are quite a few different ways to create an air bag suspension, but i can't figure out what i need to make it work for my application. i need a good ride and heavy towing capability!!! if it makes any difference in the matter, i'm not looking to lay frame at the bottom or anything- just to be able to adjust from like 5- 6 inches of drop to around 1.5-2 for bumpy roads and such. i know this can be done because i see slammed, bagged duelies all of the time in magazines that people use to tow boats, but what do i need to get to make this happen. btw- my cousin is a welder by trade and will be doing any work for me that i decide to go forward with so if necessary i will need information about everything right down to exact angles and placements of the components. this will be both of our first attempts at anything of this magnitude if we go forward. all of our experience involves lifting trucks, and we have non whatsoever with bags.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check out explorerunderground.com, they would prolly have more info about bagged trucks if you posted on their forum

i know i'm a member there, but they aren't very helpful and i'd love to get a more informed answer here.

I am wanting to do the same, but tow my camper. I have also seen bagged "work" trucks and some were laying frame! I have a friend with a bagged S10 and the handling and ride is crap. He also is plagued by leaks especially at night, in the morning he has to build up pressure(5mins.)just to leave his house. The rocks and constant movement/vibration wear the hoses and shake loose the fittings. I believe if I were to use Sinflex(found on 18 wheelers) and heavy gauge brass fittings the problem could be kept under check. I plan on using a 4 link and a C notch on the back and an airwave set up on the front. I have to talk with someone else who is bagged to find out the scope on the ride quality before I take the "plunge"!:)

I have a friend that has a bagged car and a car with hydrolics and they both ride like ****. Makes you feel like your riding a bull at a rodeo on city streets. Very rough ride.

i'm in a dumb situation here. there aren't any shops in my area here that have any clue how to do this. no one at explorerunderground is looking for the performance i want and need (this isn't gonna just be for show at all, in fact the explorer is going to be my daily driver 8 or 9 months a year and they don't seem to care about ride quality to that degree). and i can't find the necessary info elsewhere on the net. so i'm stuck asking here and looking through old truckin' mags and stuff for the spec's of systems on duelies and stuff that were used for towing (of course i have no idea if these were ever used or how they rode) so i don't know how i'm gonna figure this out...

maybe i should keep a mostly stock suspension and go for just 2-3 inches of movement (i think i know how to do that and retain ride quality) or perhaps just lower the front as far as possible and then give myself a little adjustment in the back (this would be sort of wimping out though and its not like my truck sits too low in the back the way it is now even while towing)

so i still need advice, hasn't anyone done this or seen a truck with it done.

otherwise i'll start calling the companies direct and see what they have to say

peeople with bagged rangers in my area dont ride that rough but they have shocks. so maby the cars that rode like sheiot diddent have shocks. id do it as long as you are shure the notch is stroung and have bigg bags in the back. People at www.rangerpowersports.com will know alot about this. hit there forums up

If you want 5-6 inches all around when aired out, I'm pretty sure that would require a notch in the frame. Realize that undertaking this project would require lots of customization and LOTS of $$$.

Extensive Metalwerks in Texas has bagged around 10 Explorers in their history, you might give them a call.

Back