Time for tires | Page 33 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Time for tires

Which to choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I just got Firestone Destination AT2 tires in 245/60/18 on my 2016 Base and they are awesome in the snow and icy roads. They are also quiet and light so my fuel mileage has stayed the same as stock.
I made a quick video with them. https://youtu.be/iMTP4qdkkd4
I would recommend these to anyone that lives in a wintery conditions, they have the 3 peak snowflake rating.
I've always used Winter tires on my vehicles. I twice had occasions to drive in Winter conditions with the so called All Season tires and found it very scary being used to better grip with the dedicated tires. There really is no comparison between Winter tires and the OEM, no matter the brand. Many insurance companies here offer a 5% discount on your policy if using Winter tires.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know. I'll take a stable but short treadwear over blow-outs any day.

I recently was up against the same decision. I didn't like what was offered by Goodyear, BFG or Cooper so went with Pirelli's. So far, so good. Much better grip and handling than the stock Hankooks.

I think after the blow issue, pushing 20 years ago know, was a one off. Vehicle design, tire inflation issues plus the tread separation issue hasn't repeated itself.

I've got 500kms (mostly city with a 150km highway trip) on the Weathergrips and am pleasantly surprised. Ride is quieter and softer than the stock Hankooks, plus road growl is minimal for an All Weather Tire with an aggressive tread. I think the smaller wheel size plays a larger part in the more comfortable ride.

I'll update the wear as needed. I usually rotate my tires every 8000kms when I change my oil

I've always used Winter tires on my vehicles. I twice had occasions to drive in Winter conditions with the so called All Season tires and found it very scary being used to better grip with the dedicated tires. There really is no comparison between Winter tires and the OEM, no matter the brand. Many insurance companies here offer a 5% discount on your policy if using Winter tires.

Peter

The post you quoted was referencing all weather tires with 3PMS, not OEM all-season tires. Testing has shown all weather tires with 3PMS to perform as well as, or even better than, winter only tires.

You do not have to have a second set of winter only tires to get the ontario winter discount. The only requirement is the 3PMS marking. I am not aware of any all-season tire that has a 3PMS marking - it is pretty much only on all-weather and dedicated snow/winter only tires.

Someone in this thread recommended the BFG Advantage TA sport. My 2012 XLT came with the Hankooks, which wore out way too quickly. I replaced them with Michelin LTX, which I liked better in snowy and wet conditions than the Hankooks, but also wore more quickly than I wanted. Sam's had a rebate on the BFG's in December, so I had a set of 4 installed. We've had several decent snow storms here since, and I'm really impressed by the traction and ride from the BFG's. So much so, that I just bought another set for the Honda Accord my kids drive.

The post you quoted was referencing all weather tires with 3PMS, not OEM all-season tires. Testing has shown all weather tires with 3PMS to perform as well as, or even better than, winter only tires.

You do not have to have a second set of winter only tires to get the ontario winter discount. The only requirement is the 3PMS marking. I am not aware of any all-season tire that has a 3PMS marking - it is pretty much only on all-weather and dedicated snow/winter only tires.
Yes, I was aware the member has the All Weather tires which, I believe by default, have the 3PMS. I just guessed that prior to that, All Seasons were used. Several articles I've read have recommended them and mentioned the savings of having to have 2 sets of tires. They also mentioned that being an All Weather tire that there were some small sacrifices in Winter and Summer performance.

Peter

Someone in this thread recommended the BFG Advantage TA sport. My 2012 XLT came with the Hankooks, which wore out way too quickly. I replaced them with Michelin LTX, which I liked better in snowy and wet conditions than the Hankooks, but also wore more quickly than I wanted. Sam's had a rebate on the BFG's in December, so I had a set of 4 installed. We've had several decent snow storms here since, and I'm really impressed by the traction and ride from the BFG's. So much so, that I just bought another set for the Honda Accord my kids drive.
Don't forget that snow traction is only one consideration to take into account for Winter driving. The other being grip/traction on cold bare roads. Dedicated Winter tires have a softer rubber compound that remains more pliable in cold temperatures unlike an All Season which starts to stiffen and lose optimum grip at just 43 F.

Peter

Do you notice any noise difference between those? I haven't had to drive my Hankooks on snow yet but I'm not looking forward to it. But I'd hate to lose the quietness and dry traction for nothing... how do you compare other strengths/weaknesses? Thanks!

I just went with my second set of Yokohama Geolandar G055 for my 20" limited wheels. They're rated at 65K, but to be honest the ride hasn't been great since about 50K. I pushed them to almost 60K and replaced them with about 4/32" left. Despite the disappointing ride for the last 10K or so, they were outstanding for the first 40K or more. Wore well, rode well, and held their balance. About 3/4 of my driving is highway.

Do you notice any noise difference between those? I haven't had to drive my Hankooks on snow yet but I'm not looking forward to it. But I'd hate to lose the quietness and dry traction for nothing... how do you compare other strengths/weaknesses? Thanks!

It's tough to tell definitively - I don't have a decibel meter - but I haven't noticed any difference from the LTX.

Don't forget that snow traction is only one consideration to take into account for Winter driving. The other being grip/traction on cold bare roads. Dedicated Winter tires have a softer rubber compound that remains more pliable in cold temperatures unlike an All Season which starts to stiffen and lose optimum grip at just 43 F.

Peter

Sure -- I gathered that the BFG have the new snowflake rating which is supposed to mean they are more capable. Honestly, I live in St. Louis, so we go from occasional snow and subzero weather in the winter to 100 degree heat in the summer, with lots of rain and the chance for ice storms. No tire is going to do all of that well, but life is full of compromises.

Sure -- I gathered that the BFG have the new snowflake rating which is supposed to mean they are more capable. Honestly, I live in St. Louis, so we go from occasional snow and subzero weather in the winter to 100 degree heat in the summer, with lots of rain and the chance for ice storms. No tire is going to do all of that well, but life is full of compromises.
Actually, that is the exact case for all weather 3PMS tires. They aren't going to handle the far extremes of a dedicated winter/ice or UHP summer tire, but they are the best compromise tire to have for all weather conditions - far better than traditional all-season tires.

Today, I got a set of Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus tires installed on my '14 Sport. They had decent reviews and Firestone Complete Auto Care had a sale on them. Cost was just over $1000 out the door. They seem to be doing great so far, but it's only been driven maybe 20 miles. Will report back any issues as miles get accumulated on them.

Cooper Zeon 285-60/R18 on stock rims

Anyone out there try putting these on a 5th gen Explorer? Photos? Rubbing?

Looks like it is pushing the rim size, diameter and weight, but the look might be worth it.

Thoughts?

Anyone try 265/60R18 Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus tires on stock rims? What's your opinion? Photo? Seems about right to me.

Hi all,
Looking to replace factory tires with one of these. Need suggestions. Mainly care about tires being quiet and good in wet weather. Thx

Attachments

• AA9D3DA7-D38A-4566-9E1F-B823B2070FDA.png
    AA9D3DA7-D38A-4566-9E1F-B823B2070FDA.png
    198.7 KB · Views: 85
  • B82CE421-4590-452F-BC99-CB99A304B5FF.png
    B82CE421-4590-452F-BC99-CB99A304B5FF.png
    183.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 80E3B17B-D344-4AAA-A132-4C394002AF01.png
    80E3B17B-D344-4AAA-A132-4C394002AF01.png
    238.2 KB · Views: 81

Anyone try 265/60R18 Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus tires on stock rims? What's your opinion? Photo? Seems about right to me.
I a pervious version on a bigger size on my tundra . i did tow a 7k camper and it was very quiet and lasted maybe 40k which i thought was good.

Kumho CRUGEN KL33

This is what i been running from November of 2018. Very happy with quite , wet and snow traction. i really liked them as i paid 137 for each from amazon. highly recommended tire. they even survived some hard unpaved dirt and gravel roads .

Would recommend if anyone wants a more budget friendly option.

Hi all,
Looking to replace factory tires with one of these. Need suggestions. Mainly care about tires being quiet and good in wet weather. Thx
I am personally going to give my plug for Bridgestone Duelers or Michelin Defenders. If you showed Hankook Venus Nobles I would tell you to get a MRI for trauma. I am not sure about Pirelli and BF Goodrich on SUV’s in general. I have had good luck with Michelin Defenders and Bridgestone Dueler and if you check Tire Rack the prices many be closer than you think.

Key takeaways: Anything other than Hankoos Venus which are the OEM. I swapped to Duelers at 2000 miles and Almost two years later I literally can’t even give those away

Tire rack website should allow comparison for up to three or four tires I believe. Use one or all these three and use BridgeStone Duelers and Michelin Defender LT I believe. Don’t just look at technical APD is read the reviews as part of the comparison and read the vehicle type and driving conditions for that tire. ideally you want to find another review for your specific vehicle and driving area/conditions but if you find comparable size/class of vehicles it’s a start.....ie. Explorer and Jeep Grand Cherokee/Durango etc....

Compare the three you are considering against each other and use Duelers or Defenders as a wild card fourth comparison.
A little more lengthy answer that and possibly side tracked than I wa thinking but you should get the idea.

I can say that Pirelli and Goodyyear at least are fairly common OEM vendors. I can’t speak for Goodrich because I have not seen in a while.

I can also state the Tire Rack is pretty good with technical support and customer service. Theyre very good at reasonable timing for delivery. Obviously youneed a local distribution center/warehouse. We have one I Shreveport, LA and I literally had a set shipped to my house in about 22 hours.

Kumho CRUGEN KL33

This is what i been running from November of 2018. Very happy with quite , wet and snow traction. i really liked them as i paid 137 for each from amazon. highly recommended tire. they even survived some hard unpaved dirt and gravel roads .

Would recommend if anyone wants a more budget friendly option.
They don't seem to list that one anymore.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My Hankooks were really noisy at the end of their life. The Michelins were noticeably more quiet, and the BFGs compare favorably. I have about 5K on the BFGs now and really like them in wet and dry conditions.

Back