• Register Today It's free!

Timing chain job, what else?

Sporttracdora

Reaction score
City, State
REDMOND
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explore sport trac
Unfortunately my time has come, my awesome sport trac has some timing chain tensioner pieces in my oil pan. The shop told me around 4500 to do the job and they can’t touch it until august. Leaves me with no truck for a while:( what else should be done to the engine to ensure it lasts as long as possible while it is out and torn apart for timing chain problems? Heard rumors of pre oilers and of course the thermostat which I have done. Any internally that could be beefed up, or replaced so I can break another 100k mi?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You realize you can buy a brand new engine out of the box for $3,500

The answer to your question just replace the timing components and gaskets change your fluids

For that kind of money I would buy a new engine you have time for it to come in the mail

Seems logical to me, where would be the best place to source a new engine?
You realize you can buy a brand new engine out of the box for $3,500

The answer to your question just replace the timing components and gaskets change your fluids

For that kind of money I would buy a new engine you have time for it to come in the mail

Seems logical to me, where would be the best place to source a new engine?
PP like donald said
dahmer powertrain

jasper is the tried and true, a bit overpriced, but nonetheless the tried and true.

I bet 4500 would buy a real nice V8 donor truck to be worry free

@410Fortune
It ran through my head a few times, this is my only vehicle though so engine swap would put it down for a longer time than I want I believe. Maybe once I have another vehicle and I can set this one aside all winter

usually figure donors what maybe 2k? for 4500 thats not a donor thats a forever truck!
What’s the popular swap for these? 5.0? There has to be some bolt up kits for motor mounts, and transmission. In the long run it makes sense to put something better in there I geuss I just worry that a swap will lead to more problems and troubleshooting in the Beginning which is when I planned to drive my truck a lot. I’m new to swaps and hardly know how to do a power steering pump

What’s the popular swap for these? 5.0? There has to be some bolt up kits for motor mounts, and transmission. In the long run it makes sense to put something better in there I geuss I just worry that a swap will lead to more problems and troubleshooting in the Beginning which is when I planned to drive my truck a lot. I’m new to swaps and hardly know how to do a power steering pump
explorer 97-01 4dr had 5.0 windsor (not coyote) and 4r70w stock. since the ST very similiar mechanically to a 4dr i imagine its not much if nay harder than than doing it on a 4dr 2nd gen. better for you in WA cs CA too since afaik you have to pass smog obv, but unlike CA no referee for motor swaps i think, and actually if youre out of certain counties i think theres no smog there??? not sure, just ff the tp of my head

and i get. your concern, but there is plenty of help on here, and long term the 5.0/4r is much more stout than the sohc/5r

explorer 97-01 4dr had 5.0 windsor (not coyote) and 4r70w stock. since the ST very similiar mechanically to a 4dr i imagine its not much if nay harder than than doing it on a 4dr 2nd gen. better for you in WA cs CA too since afaik you have to pass smog obv, but unlike CA no referee for motor swaps i think, and actually if youre out of certain counties i think theres no smog there??? not sure, just ff the tp of my head
Okay good info, luckily I live in an area with no smog and no rules on swaps so I’m in the clear there, YouTube here I come!

and i get. your concern, but there is plenty of help on here, and long term the 5.0/4r is much more stout than the sohc/5r
Agreed I think long term it defiantly is. Wonder if my shop would want buko bucks to do this too. I’m being irrational because it’s summer and I had some trips planned so it seems frighting to undertake an engine swap. But maybe I should grow up and bite the bullet😂

Okay good info, luckily I live in an area with no smog and no rules on swaps so I’m in the clear there, YouTube here I come!
YT has good info, but vroom zoom boom here has a thread, and @410Fortune is the go to guy!
Agreed I think long term it defiantly is. Wonder if my shop would want buko bucks to do this too. I’m being irrational because it’s summer and I had some trips planned so it seems frighting to undertake an engine swap. But maybe I should grow up and bite the bullet😂
a shop would probably, since they'd need a donor, etc. however... @410Fortune can do these conversions in his sleep, and does a great job! good value too w/ jamie.

YT has good info, but vroom zoom boom here has a thread, and @410Fortune is the go to guy!

a shop would probably, since they'd need a donor, etc. however... @410Fortune can do these conversions in his sleep, and does a great job! good value too w/ jamie.
I’m ordering parts for the timing chain tensioner update job. I plan to change the chains as well since it will be a simple additional step. For most kits I notice that guide rails are also included and extra bolts. I know some bolts are one time use and need to be replaced, if someone knows a list of which ones please let me know. I only know the motor mount ones for certain. Anyways is it advised to change the guide rails along with the chain? Seems a bit unnecessary to me. Thanks for any info!

I’m ordering parts for the timing chain tensioner update job. I plan to change the chains as well since it will be a simple additional step. For most kits I notice that guide rails are also included and extra bolts. I know some bolts are one time use and need to be replaced, if someone knows a list of which ones please let me know. I only know the motor mount ones for certain. Anyways is it advised to change the guide rails along with the chain? Seems a bit unnecessary to me. Thanks for any info!
the harmonic balancer bolt is TTY that ik. the rest i think in my experience were reusable. and by guide rails do you mean the guide and tensioner? id def replace those. guide and tensioner were a bit of a ford fisher price collab there and they get brittle w age

The jackshaft bolts are TTY as well

Back