Timing Chain Replacement..Done! Timing... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Timing Chain Replacement..Done! Timing...

chaDDaddy

Reaction score
City, State
CA
So I finally did the dreaded SOHC 4.0 timing chains... I pulled the tranny to do the clutch and I said screw it and dove in.

Well with the help of 2000StreetRod (I <3 U) I am almost the whole way done. The last problem I am having is getting the darn thing timed! I timed it but I believe it was on the exhaust stroke. After timing it I spun it by hand, no collision, then I cranked it with the valve covers off and no plugs, smooth sailing. I put it all back together and cranked it. NO GOOD! It goes through 1 "Cycle" (not sure how many revolutions) then just stops cranking for about .5 seconds. Then starts that "cycle" again. It's acting like a 15:1 V8 engine with a crappy starter. Like the compression is too much for the starter. Could I have timed it on the exhaust stroke maybe? How do I tell what's exhaust and what's compression if BOTH cams got moved during the repair?

OH BTW...1st post... :) (17th private message haha! Thanks 2000StreetRod!)

Well I got this all wrapped up, now I am having a "Ticking" Problem. It's evident all through the RPM's. and is coming from the right rear of the engine. I have not been successful getting the right chain tensioner installed properly, for the life of me those oil holes won't line up...it's leaking a little. Could this be the problem? Any light would be great!

oil hole alignment

The oil hole in the tensioner does not have to align with the oil hole in the head. The smaller diameter of the tensioner between the threads and the sealing surface allows oil from the head to circulate around the circumference of the tensioner. Did you install a compression ring? If so, did you use some grease to hold it in place when screwing the tensioner in? If not, the ring may have slipped out of position.
RtTnsCls.jpg

Back