How to: - Timing chain replacement on a 2002 explorer 4.0 l | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Timing chain replacement on a 2002 explorer 4.0 l

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
2002 Ford Explorer Tming Chain Update 01-10-2013 part 2

2002 Ford Explorer Tming Chain Update 01-10-2013 part 2

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2002 Ford Explorer Tming Chain Update 01-10-2013 part 3

2002 Ford Explorer Tming Chain Update 01-10-2013 part 3

Precision tensioner, etc.

The purpose of the precision tensioner (#6484) is to make the chain taught. It should be installed before the camshaft sprocket holder (#6478) is tightened on the holder adapter (#6482). If the chain is not taught on the traction side (side of the cassette opposite of the tensioner) when the camshaft sprocket retaining bolt is tightened then the timing will be slightly off. However, it shouldn't be off enough to make a significant difference in performance.

The torque specification for the right camshaft sprocket retaining bolt is less than the left is because the extension tool (#6485) is normally only used on the right camshaft sprocket retaining bolt. If the extension tool is used it provides additional leverage so the specified torque is 45 ft-lbs. If the extension tool is not used the right sprocket retaining bolt is tightened to 63 ft-lbs which is the same as for the left sprocket bolt. The extension tool allows timing the right camshaft with the engine installed in the vehicle. There is insufficient clearance between the firewall and the sprocket retaining bolt for a normal torque wrench. Tightening the left socket retaining bolt to 63 ft-lbs with the extension installed is equivalent to over tightening to 88 ft-lbs.

The washer ("O" ring) on the hydraulic tensioner has a tendency to fall out of position when installing the tensioner. If it drops out of position there will be oil leaks around the tensioner housing. Thick grease will keep the washer in place until the tensioner is tightened.

Just to add a little.
Did not take engine out. Main tensioner broken as well as tensioner on balance shaft. Managed to get new balance shaft tensioner in without taking engine out. Took new spring off new base, notched the spring on the end that goes on the pin, bent old (still mounted) base down a little, installed new spring on old base (was not too easy, just be persistent), bent old base back into place. Did not take crank sprocket off either.

sorry guys...havent gave up

its just to cold in the garage to finish.........but warm weather is comming...ill be back at it soon.......thanks for all the help and support

sorry guys for the hold up......im back

i got picture and videos.......first the videos....then pitures......takes a while to load pictures no....photobucket changed there software....so now one picture at a time.......but here is some vids to get you started.......thanks for all the help......i dont think i will ever do it again.....

photo video........just easier to upload

thanks for all the help......just need the hood today and a test drive..

now i need help

after the timing chain job.....waited to save to re-registrer the truck....take it for a ride nad shes mint, drive smooth and still quiet like a new truck......BUT....as you drive down the high way, its good, but let off the gas and it feels like a pulse....or antilock brakes stabbing. or awd engaging....I don't know....but I need help.......I cant see how touching the motor screws with anything else....I had to put 100 miles on her to reset brain......but I need help I don't get it????????????????????

5R55 Trans

Does it feel like its coming from the transmission area? 2nd gens sometimes do this when disengaging from OD. It's more of a jolt though.

Back