• Register Today It's free!

Timing chain work

no1plantman

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport
got started on this nasty little project this weekend and was very confident that I would have her up and running. Well, that didn't happen. Left side inspection looked good, replaced tensioner and reassembled. Removed right valve cover and well, not so good. Chain feels tight, but upon viewing the limitless pics here, I know something was missing.
I would attached pics but I do not have a pic hosting site. Dale was a great help this weekend getting me thru the first stage (a big thanks to you Dale :)) Now all I have to do is get her towed over to the shop and pull the engine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you can upload your pictures to photobucket for free and then post the img link here

check right side first

One reason I suggest members check the right cassette first is so they don't spend time on other things before determining the engine has to be pulled. I'm sorry to see that your right cassette is broken. Good luck with your repairs!

It's all good. I did read where you mentioned that, but obviously I started with the easy side. Will a 1 ton hoist be ample enough? I found one local on craig's list for 100 bucks. I have never pulled an engine before, but it does not appear that it would be over whelming.

Anyone know where I can rent the cam tool kit OTC6488? Dear God, that bugger is expensive.

1 ton crane

It's all good. I did read where you mentioned that, but obviously I started with the easy side. Will a 1 ton hoist be ample enough? I found one local on craig's list for 100 bucks. I have never pulled an engine before, but it does not appear that it would be over whelming.

I used a foldable 1 ton crane I purchased from Harbor Freight. The only problem was the short boom length. I had to extend the boom to its maximum length and remove the front bumper: SOHC V6 Engine Removal Procedure

streetrod, I got the OTC6488 for 79 bucks at ebay, just now! Went to Fords and got both the left and right kits as well as the main. will pick up hoist tomorrow and start the engine removal on Wed. I'll take pics and have the laptop out in the car port with your engine removal thread and pics up, so I can go step by step. Thanks again for all the work you (and others) have put in to give us rookies a great source of info.

Back