• Register Today It's free!

Timing set recomendations

kolb

Reaction score
City, State
New Braunfels, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
Explorer has a timing chain rattle (4.0 sohc) and I got a good deal on a relatively low mileage replacement balance-shaft engine. I got to hear it run before it was pulled and it sounded good. So, instead of just dropping it in, I'm going to change out the guides and chains as a matter of precaution while the engine is out. I have already ordered the tool kit and now I'm about to order the complete timing set. I'll get the gears and all as I don't want to do the job again. I have been looking at the Cloyes set but wanted to be sure they were still the recommended set to buy. Also, other than normal gaskets, seals, and new water pump, is there anything anyone can think of that I should get as well while it's apart? Any modifications I should do while it's torn down?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oil pump if its cassettes are bad. I wouldn't touch the engine tech gasket set either (conversion gasket set has everything you need). The cradle gasket was junk, and I ended up having to slice up the rear of the gasket to get it to fit. Wouldn't suggest the enginetech Timing set on rock auto either. I just pulled my front tensioner that came with the set and the spring was toast after less then 2 years, a little over 40k kms. The primary tensioner may be shot too, but I havent dug into it that far yet.

Go with the cloyes. As long as you don't need to do any head work, you will need upper and lower oil pan gaskets, valve cover gaskets, upper and lower intake gaskets, exhaust flange gaskets, and you might as well replace the rear main seal while you are in there. Aside from that, the kit should have everything you need. It would also be a good time to clean out/replace the fuel injectors and replace the O rings on them as a PM.

I caution the rear seal. I wouldn't mess with it if it isn't leaking. The only gaskets that don't come with the conversion kit that you may need are for the intake and exhaust manifolds, and unless you have a to pull the exhaust for a busted bolt I wouldn't bother because you will have to get the manifolds planed.

Thanks guys - I'll order up the Cloyes kit today along with a gasket set. I've always been kinda fond of FelPro gaskets so I'll see if I can find them for this.

I was also considering advancing the cams a couple of degrees as well. With the AWD and 3:55 gears this thing needs all the help it can get. Anyone have any thoughts on this or how many degrees it can handle?

I don't think its possible with the otc set. you will find out when you get it all rigged up, but it locks everything in a single fixed position when you tighten it all up. Nothing is adjustable. Probably for the best, as I'm sure when all the variable tensioners are sloshing around the timing probably jumps a few degrees either way during a run cycle. You will see it when you start bolting this train wreck of an engine back together. I bet if you had a programmer you could probably muck with the spark timing a bit but that's about it. The engine is pretty anemic for the configuration it was dropped into.

I just did mine last month, and I was able to get Fel-Pro gaskets for everything.

2000streetrod has put a wealth of info on this site about the whole process. He saved me a lot of time and aggravation.

I sure wish I had the time and place to have done this repair myself. I could have saved about $2,500 in labor.

Yeah, I'm pretty blessed in that regard. It's nice to have a shop to work in. In the past a sheet of plywood on the ground was my shop. Prior to that...no plywood. Lol

What is the "balance shaft oil restrictor" that I see people reference installing? I understand what a restrictor is, but is this something that is added or does the engine already have it and people are just checking it?

Back