Tinned Cables

little x

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
SW VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XL
This thread could have gone a few different places, but I figured you Audio guys would know the most about wires.

I'm planning out a dual battery relocation. I've started collecting some of the parts that I need, and now I'm starting to look into what wires I'll be buying. I began looking at marine grade for 2 reasons: 1) it's generally 1/2 to 1/4 the price of audio cable and 2) it's marine grade, so it should last a long time in an open vehicle.

It seems that all marine grade cable is "tinned". From what I've read about it that does 2 things, it greatly reduces internal corrosion and it adds a little bit more resistance. Seeing as how explorers have a problem with the battery cables internally corroding, I figure this is a good thing. As far as the resistance it adds, I could see this affecting a sub, but don't foresee it being a problem in running a winch/power inverter/air compressor/etc.

Since this conversion will be for 4x4 toys, not audio toys should I get tinned wire? Or is there some big black secret reason for me to stay far far away from it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have used marine cable for most all of my amplifier installs and have had no issues with it. Most of the marine wire I have found tends to have a slight premium over the standard audio wire. I like it for the same reasons you have cited, better corrosion resistance, plus the insulation is fuel/oil resistant (not that you would ever run it through the middle of your gas tank or anything). The insulation tends to be a bit thinner than the clearish power wire that comes in a lot of amplifier install kits, but I feel it is just as tough, if not tougher and easier to route through the vehicle.

Tinned wire will be completely acceptable in these applications.

And, I agree with the marine wire. I love it.

Just for clarification, and in case anyone wants to know.
The reason I would say that tinned would be acceptable is that the demand for the products you are going to be using is not terrible high in current amount. It is just needed in order to get current from one point to another. So, the amperage demand is farily low. In situations where high amperage is required, I would suggest using non-tinned Oxygen Free Copper for wiring. (Of course other metals can be better at conductivity, but OFC is the accepted wire for most installers due to cost vs conductivity ratios).

And, I also prefer wire with the lowest possible strand count that is available for the application.
I know the lower strand count causes it to be less flexible and easier to break, but if you do not demand an incredibly flexible wire run, you get less resistance with less strands.

Back