Tinting my windows on Sat need some help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tinting my windows on Sat need some help

Ok I'm going to be attempting to tint my windows on sat. I bought pre cut tint off ebay. What kind of mixture should I use to clean the windows and to keep the tint wet while placing it? Is there a certain mixture ie 1/8 cup soap to 1/2 cup water or something specific like that or just as long as its somewhat soapy water I should be good? The only thing I cant use is amonia correct? Also I know WalMart sells a tinting kit that includes a squeege etc is this kit any good? If not what kind of squeege would you all recommend me getting? Also are there any other little things that I should get that may help make this process a bit easier? I;ve never tinted before but I saw some how to videos on youtube and read a bunch of threads on here and it doesnt seem that difficult. Seems like the key is to just keep the tint and the window extremely wet while I'm placing it and I should be good. Any help is appreciated, thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok I'm going to be attempting to tint my windows on sat. I bought pre cut tint off ebay. What kind of mixture should I use to clean the windows and to keep the tint wet while placing it? Is there a certain mixture ie 1/8 cup soap to 1/2 cup water or something specific like that or just as long as its somewhat soapy water I should be good? The only thing I cant use is amonia correct? Also I know WalMart sells a tinting kit that includes a squeege etc is this kit any good? If not what kind of squeege would you all recommend me getting? Also are there any other little things that I should get that may help make this process a bit easier? I;ve never tinted before but I saw some how to videos on youtube and read a bunch of threads on here and it doesnt seem that difficult. Seems like the key is to just keep the tint and the window extremely wet while I'm placing it and I should be good. Any help is appreciated, thanks guys!

#1 I have seen many tint kits become bubble kits within a couple of months time. You should research a little on the tint you bought off of ebay, because it could cost you more to remove it than you spent on it if things go bad.
#2 Check your local auto parts and make sure the level of tint is legal in your area. As a former LEO I can tell you it changes from state to state and even town to town. Don't go by the fact that your buddy has had the same tint for 3 years and no problems. Some towns even have a photo meter and will check it right there then write you a ticket. Most places it's a $150 ticket. If it's that reflective (mirror) tint, I can almost assure you it's not legal for road use in most states. I have even seen some places that will impound your vehicle if you have the front windows and windshield tinted because they deem it unsafe for on-road driving.

Just for reference:

New Jersey Window Tint Law
New Jersey Tint Law Enacted: 2003
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN NEW JERSEY?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In New Jersey, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield No tint is allowed on the windshield.
Front Side Windows No tint can be applied legally to this window.
Back Side Windows Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN NEW JERSEY?

Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.

Front Side Windows No metallic or mirrored appearance.
Back Side Windows No metallic or mirrored appearance.

OTHER NEW JERSEY RULES AND REGULATIONS

Restricted Colors No colors of tint are explicitly banned.
Side Mirrors Dual side mirrors are required if back window is tinted.
Certificate Requirements Manufacturers of film do NOT need to certify the film they sell in the state.
Sticker Requirements No sticker to identify legal tinting is required.
Medical Exemption State allows medical exemptions for special tint. For more details about the specific terms of the exemption, consult your state law.

i just ordered my kit off ebay also it should be here soon im just going to clean my windows really good and i need to find out what solution also to use and tools

ok well that doesnt answer my question. i know the laws in NJ and wasnt asking for them, i just wanted to know if the walmart kit was good or not and worth buying and if not than what should i get??????

ok well that doesnt answer my question. i know the laws in NJ and wasnt asking for them, i just wanted to know if the walmart kit was good or not and worth buying and if not than what should i get??????

You stated you never have done tinting before so I thought I would be helpful. I will not be so helpful next time. Pro's use soapy water 15 drops baby shampoo per pint, I have to say tho if you bought the kit off of ebay: good luck. Also I got all that info off of a wonderful thing called GOOGLE. 1st link when searching: window tinting tips.

Get someone to help, an extra set of hands is great...you may want to pull your door panels...I tinted the front windows on a 2000 Explorer and that little "raised" area on the front top edge of the door panel was a pain to work around...dish soap and water in a spray bottle has always worked well for me...I have some old "bondo" applicators that have worked well for working the water/air out from behind tint...otherwise the squeegee needs to be pretty firm...the soft rubber ones tend to pull the tint too much.

HTH!

ok thanks guys.. i actaully googled and am on that site tintdude pretty helpful, i appreciate it. sorry if i came across as a di#k before i do appreciate the help. thanks guys

ok thanks guys.. i actaully googled and am on that site tintdude pretty helpful, i appreciate it. sorry if i came across as a di#k before i do appreciate the help. thanks guys

I had a friend who did tint and alarms for a living. Even he messed up on occassion with professional tools. The chemicals he used to remove the tint required a special license to purchase because it liquifies the film and he got about $200-300 for cleaning up windows, then the price of re-tinting. So just be VERY careful, take your time and make certain you don't skip any steps.

im on the autozone site and they have a Gila / Window Tint Squeegee and Knife set for $3.99. is this set any good? and when you say drops what do you mean? like taking an eye dropped or something?

im on the autozone site and they have a Gila / Window Tint Squeegee and Knife set for $3.99. is this set any good? and when you say drops what do you mean? like taking an eye dropped or something?

Usually drops mean hold the bottle and allow it to let it drip on it's own allowing 15 distinct drops fall. Or you could even use an eye or medicine dropper to get precise measurement.

ok thats what i thought you meant but wasnt sure so i thought id ask the stupid question. im going to get that kit i figure its got to be somewhat decent since Gila is somewhat recognized for tinting i think..

follow up question.... where could i purchase these hardcards from that i read about? ive heard they r pretty helpful with the final squegeeing and getting the tint down into the cracks behind the felt etc. can i buy something like these at a home depot or lowes?

the gila kit is what i used and it worked fine for me. the key is take your time and having an extra set of hands is great. the back window might be a pain because of the compound curve. lay the tint on the outside, sticky side out, and heat shrink it to fit the curve. i haven't tried this but i'm going to redo my tint and try it

is that all you used? other than lint free paper towels/clothes and the solution obviously... did you use hard cards or anything? ill post pics up after i finished sat. im only doing the rear windows for now since my dad is driving the vehicle currently.

the squeegee in the kit i got was pretty firm as long as you keep everything wet it will all slide around pretty good. just remember don't put the windows down for at least 3 days

ok thanks man... side question for you cross, those 12" xplods you got, did you make a custom enclosure for them yourself or did you buy one? im thinking of putting subs in my explorer.

ok well today in preperation of putting on the tint tomorrow, i went to walmart looking for a good squegee. didnt find one so im just going to go to autozone tomorrow and buy that kit for $3. anyway, i stumbled upon this $2 pack of 4 hard bondo plastic pieces. i forgot what they are called as i left the bag in my buddies car but they were in the automotive section and i assume they are used for mixing up bondo and things. will these be good to use as a final squegee on the tint? i know its too hard on the tint so id wrap it in a lint free cloth or towel to soften it. they look just like a hardcard so is it safe for me to assume that theyll work like one as well and be good to use?

You should be good with those. I've used hardcards before for different laminating purposes and they were simply a thin hard plastic just like bondo spatulas except they had a slick plastic coating on them which reminded me of packing tape.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok well so far i have a spray bottle, baby shampoo, pack of 4 diff size bondo cards, tomorrow im getting the gila pack which includes the squegee and a knfie, and my tint that is pre cut. am i missing anything? can i use just any old razor blades? (obvi going to buy new blades in the AM but i can use any type of replacement razor blades? prolly going to buy a pack of 25 or whatever they come in. am i missing anything else that ill need?

Back