• Register Today It's free!

TINTING OVER TINTING????

ssjt1

Reaction score
City, State
montgomery city, mo.
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt
I have a 96 xlt white the tint is the bronze like color (factory). I have a $3000 dollor stereo system in the back and you can see it through the tint. If I got it tinted 5% or darker should i do it over the factory tint or will that look like crap? Has anybody done it over the bronze before. Please help

thanks jeff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

tint over tint answer

I have a 96 eddie bauer explorer with about $2000 in stereo eguiptment in the back. my windows were bronze also, but I got 15% all the way around and it looks great and keeps the peekers out too. make sure you get a bronze tint on the front two windows and a normal black on the rear windows. good luck!

A few years back I tinted the rear windows on my uncles Aerostar. He had the same factory tint as the Explorers do. It looked great when I was done and VERY hard to see into.
He wanted it dark because he's an electrician and carried all his equipment in the back of the van. He only had the stock stereo, but he carried around about 6 grand worth of electrical tools and supplies.
Rick

I have about $1000 worth of stereo stuff in the back.. you can only see mine if you look very hard or if I forget to use my crafty anti-theft system (toss a towel over the subs) heh, I'd like tint, but if its not gonna match, I'm not gonna do it

Hey guys, I have a 2001 XLT v8 The first thing I did was get tint.. the truck did have the factory tint in the back and I had them tint over it 20% all around... I think it looks good and so do all the people that tell me it looks sweet =) Here are some pics..

View

View

Yes they are that dark..

The only thing i can tell you is the back will be a little darker then the other windows... i think it looks better that way.... harder to see whats in the back....

Mike

yea, but the 98 and above doesn't have the horrible bronze tinting.. at least not one that I've ever seen.. the tinting thats causing problems is '97 and down..

at any rate, that looks really good man

Actually...

The later '97 models had the black tint. I know that b/c our neighbor's '97 XLT had black windows. I'm soooo jealous!!!!!!!

yea.. I noticed that.. when I bought my mounty it was bet a white one with bronze and a green one with black.. if I would have paid $300 more and got the black one that I REALLY wanted with 4wd and a moonroof.. I wouldn't have this problem now.

but NOPE.. didn't do it.. got the white one.. and that has made all the difference

Back