Tinting Windows?

Freshmo55

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
Hey-

I was just wondering if anyone has tinted their own explorer's windows before?
I would love to put a darker tint on my 2 front windows and am thinking about doing it myself.
Any suggestions, tips or warnings about doing it?
Good places to buy the tint and materials?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have tinted mine many times using two different methods.

First make sure you do it in the shade and have all of your tools laid out before startnig. You'll need a razor, a spray bottle with a soapy mixture (I use about an 1/8 cup of dishwashing detergent to a 1/2 gal of water), and a small squegee. You can usually pick up a window tinting squegee at your local auto parts store or Wal-mart.

Method 1.
It is very important that you get ANY gunk or dirt off of the window. You may want to lightly scrape the glass with a razor or very fine steel wool to make sure any dirt or buildup is gone. Clean the inside and outside of the window thoroughly with Glass Plus and newspaper.

Once you have the window clean, take the tint and lay it against the outside of the window with the clear backing facing outward and the tinted film facing inward. Take a razor and begin to slice the film following the edge of the window. Leave about an 1/2 inch extra on the bottom. This will get tucked into the rubber seal at the bottom of the window.

Once you have your tint trimmed, take your soapy solution and thoroughly soak the inside if the window where the tint will be applied. Then take a two pieces of masking tape and attached it to both sides of the film at one of the corners, then pull the tape apart to separate the film from the backing. After you have separated the film, take your soapy solution and thoroughly coat the sticky side of the tint.

Very carefully lift the tint from the top two edges and move to the inside and place the tint onto the window. Do your best to not crinkle the film, not touch anything but the window, including the film itself.

Take your soapy solution and thoroughly spray the film. This will allow you to slide the squegee on the film with runnnig the risk of scratching the film. (BTW, you can never spray enough soapy solution.) Then carefully insert the bottom of the film under the rubber seal using the squegee to push it and holding the rubber seal away from the window with your finger.

The previous step is a little tough but you may want to form a horizontal wave until you get the bottom where you want it under the seal. Then slide the film up to the correct position. Once you have the film in place, spray the film so more. Than take your squegee and start from the middle and start to squegee the soapy solution out from behind the film. Little by little work the larger bubbles to the outside of the window. ONne you have most of the major bubbles out, I usu. will walk away and work on something else (not another window, because you need to jump on the window you are working on in a seconds notice) for a few(10-15) minutes. Then go back to the window and spray some more solution and work the squegee again. Keep at it until all of the bubbles are out.

Don't roll the windows down for about 3 days. Then I will usu. roll them down a little and trim the top edge of the film just to make it follow the edge better.

The second method is pretty much the same , except that instead of laying the film on the windo to trim, I made a template out of poster board, then laid it on the film to trim. I like this way because it really makes for a clean trim.

Oh, and expect mistakes. I even still screw up a windows every now and then. But there's nothing better knowing that you did the tint job yourself. Good Luck! And let us know how it goes!

Thanks so much LStoudenmire!!!

I think I might try to do it. I guess if I do a crappy job i can always bring it somewhere adn have them fix it and put new tint on right?

Thanks for the detailed directions and everything!

You can usu. mess up each window 2 or 3 times before you would reach the cost of the shops.

Do you have any recommendations on the type/brand of tint to buy?
Maybe a certain one that lasts the longest and looks the best?

I have used the Gila brand and it seems to last. Is all of your glass clear or does it have a factory tint? If it has the factory tint, and you want to try and match it. Wal-Mart sells a tint, that matches it pretty close.

It has the factory tint on it, at least I know it does on the back windows. I think it has a light tint on the 2 front ones too. It's the basic tint you see on all the '99 sports.
So, I guess Wal-mart would be the best bet to buy tint for something to lay on top of the front windows for a darker color?

I put a 20% on the rear windows that has the factory mirror tint. It made it so you really can't see through the windows from the outside but can still see out. Then I put the Wal-mart tint on the small side window. (I have a 2 dr Sport.) Then I installed the Gila 20% tint on the front door windows. I like the Gila tint, but it doesn't match the rear ones at all. So I will end up taking it off and installing the Walmart tint to get the same mirror look. I will probably end up putting another layer of tint on the small side windows so that it will match the rear, because I can still see through them. Then put one layer of the 20% on the front doors and two layers onthe front windshield. I will do my best to take some picturs tomorrow and get them posted so that you can see the differneces in the tint. Special Note: I know that there maybe better quality tints out there than Wal-Marts brand, but I actually stumbled across it matching by accident. I believe the tint was the 7000 series.

i want to tint my windows also....

about matching the tint and everything...if ive got the factory tint, couldnt i just put the exact same tint on all the windows( just smoke or whatever) and it would look basically the same from the outside, but be darker when looking out?

what % we going here.

i was thinkin either 35 or 20....cant go too dark, virginia cops are **** about tinted windows.

AQ Explorer - No, the mirror on the rear windows will still be mirrored. I will post some pics today to show the differences.

Here is a pick of my Ex'. The sun was shining perfectly, so I was able to get a good shot of the different tints.

The rear window has the factory mirror tint, and a layer of 20% smoke which I applied. It is next to impossible, if not impossible to see anything from the outside in, but I can see very clearly out, even at night.

The middle small window is the Wal-Mart 7000 series 20% tint, only 1 layer. I will be adding another layer of the same so that it will match the rear. At the present I can still see through the middle glass from the outside.

The front is the Gila 20% smoke. I applied it to test it out. I don't like the look of the two different tints, so I will be changing it out and applying the same tint as the middle and rear window. I'm not hip on mirror tint, I much prefer a dark smoke, but with the mirror factory tint, we don't have much of a choice.

Here's the pic ->Dead Link Removed

So the Wal-mart 7000 is a mirror tint?

I pretty much want to match the color of my rear windows and from the looks of your picture I have the factory mirror tint on my 2 rear windows too.

Do they make a mirror tint in that Gila brand?

The 7000 series really doesn't say mirror tint. It actually says smoke, but it turned out to match the factory pretty close. Not really sure about the Gila. If they had mirror, I'm not sure what the results would be.

Here is a link to Gila's Auto Tint -> Dead Link Removed

Also, Here is a link to the laws of different states regarding tint -> Dead Link Removed

After taking a look at the laws, I guess I am illegal on the reflective tint. But I don't drive crazy, and I haven't been stopped yet. If I do get stopped, I'll remove it and try something else.

i know it will still be mirrored...but wont everything look the same as it is now....but darker?

nevermind...i understand now...the mirror tint pretty much blocks everything from the outside from looking different.

i put 20% Gila smoke on my cargo area windows today...
this was my first tint job and it turned out much better thane i expected, just made one crinkle and it is barely noticable.

freshmo55...as long as you take your time, tinting is easy. like Lstoudenmire said use a lot of the soapy solution, and carefully push out the airbubbles.

the 20% made it very dark, u can see in if you look really close, but you can only see bright things....like my polished speaker grilles.

That's cool AQexplorer. Glad to hear your tint job went well.
I think I might try to do mine this weekend or next so I am taking all these tips, so hopefully it will turn out well.

Thanks again!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I forgot to mention, IF you do choose to use the WalMart 7000 series, MAKE SURE it doesn't have any lines through the film. I had to go through 3 packs before I got a good non-defective pack.

Back