• Register Today It's free!

TIre Size and Highway Driving

jsfordboy02

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport
Currently running 265/75r16 with the 4.6 and 3.73 gears. Wanting to move up to 285/75r16 tires but I do a lot of of highway driving. Whos running this combo and what is it like on the highway? Currently at 70 MPH Im about 2000 RPM, and it shifts, well it shift enough, more than with the stock tires obviously. Really trying to find some factory diffs with 4.10's but its proving difficult.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't believe they made factory IRS 8.8 with 4.10?
What is making you want to up to the 33's?

Are you more worried about worse gas mileage or the strain on the vehicle?

More concerned with wear and tear. At this point poor mileage is inevitable. Yes they did do factory 4.10's, pretty rare, axle code 42 is open 4.10, code D2 is limited slip 4.10. After the suspension lift, the down travel is not great (obviously) trying to gain a little more "reach" with the 33's.

Well, at least you have the 4.6 and "towing package". The up-size probably wont change too much. Unfortunately I have to direct insight since I have the 4.0 with 315's :thumbsup:
Obviously, if you find the 4.10's that'd be awesome.

Will the front diff assembly from any other Explorer or Sport Trac or Ranger bult right into the front of the gen 3? I know its way more common to find a Sport, Sport Trac or Ranger with 4.10's.

Not sure on that, maybe check a junkyard and compare between the 3

Back