Tire Wear

aughtsix

Reaction score
City, State
NW Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport
New guy here!!

I have a 1998 Explorer Sport. 4.0 SOHC. Automatic trans. 4 wheel drive. Probably less than 200 miles on front differential. Street driven only!!

I just noticed that the driver side tire is wearing really bad on the inside of tire tread. Just got back from a 600+ mile trip a few days ago. Tire wasn't like that a couple of weeks ago, I watch my tires pretty carefully. The Explorer has 145,000 miles on her, no wear problems up to now, so I can't complain!

I have replaced front end components on past vehicles, but never a 4WD. Any help on where I should look first and how to check whatever anyone thinks it could be.

I just got done mowing my rocks here in Georgia and swallowing a few pounds of dry red clay. I will jack it up in the morning and shake a few things around, after checking here to see if anyone could help. Before I take it to a shop, if I can't find any looseness anywhere. I would like to fix it myself if possible. I'm retired, on a fixed income, just replaced clutch, etc on my Ranger. Need to get a few bucks in the bank before I spend to much. I realize I will probably have to get it aligned, anyway, even if I do it myself.

I have checked the Auto Parts stores. Seems like I have to replace entire upper control arm, to replace OEM ball joint?? Is that corect?? I am sure it's original, have had the car since 25,000 miles.

Thanks!!!!!!!

Yes-
First time replacement of the upper ball joint (driver side) is the whole arm. It isn't very difficult.

I would bet it is the cause of the uneven tire wear for sure.

Yes-
First time replacement of the upper ball joint (driver side) is the whole arm. It isn't very difficult.

I would bet it is the cause of the uneven tire wear for sure.

Yup sounds like a ball joint, not to hard, just pay attention to where your camber bolts are.

Steering Knuckle Question

Now another question: I finally got around to taking the steering knuckles off. Is there supposed to be some kind of seal, packing, or gasket type thing around the CV joint cover, like where it goes into the back of the knuckle?? If mine had one, it is non-existent now! The end of the CV joint boot is right against the knuckle. Both sides. The back of the knuckle is counter bored, like, something should be there, between and around the CV joint boot and the knuckle??

Remember, the Explorer has 145,000 miles on it! Probably has less than 200 miles on the front differential, as in front wheels doing any pulling. Maybe something has deteriorated and fallen out?? I will search Auto Zone and others for answers. Hope someone here, can help me! All the auto parts places down here seem to have lot of new people in them and if you can't name it in their store nomenclature, you ain't gonna get it!! LOL!!

Sorry for the long posts!

Thanks!!

Back