Tires, what wlse | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tires, what wlse

31X10.5 will just barley fit in my 97XLT.

Ray,
If I run my 33s, and need a spare, could I pop on a 31 like you refer to. Or would that really mess things up. My logic is running with a "donut" spare on a car. Is that any different?

Tekeman,
You DON'T want to do that. Putting a smaller tire on your AWD will definately mess up your ABS, the tranny would think that there is tire slippage and transfer power to where ever the smaller tire is( or is that backwards).
Either or, but it will cause problems.
If you change tire size, you change on all the tires including the spare. Do it right the first time and you won't have problems later. If you look down at the bottom of where the spare goes, there is a small curved piece of metal towards the front. The tire sits inbetween that and the back by the bumper. If you were to maybe get rid of that metal piece maybe you could put a larger tire under there. Pull the spare down and take a look, and let me know if you think it would get in the way of anything. The only thing that might get in the way would be the pumpkin on the axle, but I'm not sure.

Back