Tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tires

First, You need to look at a car that gets really good mileage driving that for every weekday. Dead Link Removed I have some High spirit MT's that are made by Kelly-Springfield that I love. They are a little noisey but I don't think they are too bad. Mine are 31X9.50's on 15" rims(92 xlt). They seem to do really well so far in mud, but I haven't had very many chances to get off road yet. I would recoment MT if you are doing hill climbs.

Hope this helps.
ChrisW

James,

I've got 31" Yokohama Geolandar A/T's on my truck. I do all sorts off off roading, but spend the greater part of my time on pavement, like the rest of us. With the amount of daily driving you do I would recommend the AT design, over the benefits of the MTs. You're going to wear through the MTs really fast with that much street use, while the ATs will hold up considerably longer. If you're not a serious off roader with specific needs for the agressive tread, save yourself the $$ and get the cheaper, longer lasting, but still capable ATs!

Just my .02 cents..

------------------
Cheers,

Andrew B.
1996 Ford Explorer 4x4 (slightly modified)
BC, Canada

Ive decided upon the bridgestone dueler 30's. I having trouble deciding on the AT(all terrain) or the MT(mud terrain). Does anyone have the mt's are they really noisy. I drive 122 miles every weekday. Which one do you suggest. I have a 95 explorer. I don't really do any muddin, but go hill climbing. Will the extra grip help me in loose dirt and slate rock?

Hi, James
I am using now 30x9.5 Cooper Discoverer stt ( that is `very` MT). Tracktion is realy fine for snow and mud but gasoline, gasoline ... Also noice is higher then previous ATs. Finaly,I found that this noice I am even like now, but my passangers did not.
Maintime,I seen tires 31x10.5 Dunlop radial rover r/t on my friend`s truck and it could be solution for you because thay have deep shoulder lugs for your hills and normal AT like middle structure which with good pressure should not noice on pavement. Look on its on www.dunlop.com/4whl/index.html

Gleb

------------------

Back