• Register Today It's free!

Tires

Yamvip

Reaction score
City, State
Swanton, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4x4 4.0L FFV
I need to get another set of tires for my explorer, i have had the rugged trail, and continental contitrac tr's Looking for a better longer lasting tire, with a kinda aggresive tread, And around $120, and suggestions??? Size is 245/65/17

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There isn't any in there that I'm interested in. Is there anyone wit hany input???

I buy all of my tires from tirerack.com. They have an extensive inventory, customer reviews and ratings etc. Lots of great info. Sorry if that sounded like a commercial.

Their site rates the Pirelli Scorpion ATR as the "best rated" tire in the all-terrain category. I think it is around $128. Not aggressive enough for my EX. but they have lots of good reviews.

I would start your research there.

Michelin Cross Terrain

Yokohama Geolander A/T. Good Stuff.

Got the Uniroyal AWP tires. Super Quiet. Can hear the bearings go bad now :)

I put Cooper Discover H/T's on mine. MUCH quieter than the stock goodyears, and outstanding traction in the now. Very happy with them. I had the Uniroyal AWP's on an Escape and was happy with them too.

I have a set of Saverio GT Radials that were about $90 each. I have had no problems with them so far.

I'm still on stock tires but I'll second the advice to start with TireRack.

Also, consider that tires in this category last about 50,000 miles. Assuming 15 miles per gallon average, that's 3300 gallons of fuel. So your fuel costs over a five year period are about $10,000. Your tires determine how well your vehicle brakes and handles as much or more than any other component. Don't compromise on your tires to save ~$100 over a five year period. Your already in for $10K, get tires that perform well.

* Note: made quite a few assumptions using average driving guidelines.

Spend the money and get some Goodyear Fortera Tripletred's. Awesome tire.

Back