Tires... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tires...

Do any of you here have BFG Radial T/A tires on your trucks? If you do, do they have awful wet traction? I ask this because I have these tires and anytime the road is wet and I'm starting from a stop, the tires spin. I only bump the RPMs to no more that 2000 when its wet. They tires have great dry traction though. Anyone have these problems?

1995ExplorerXLT

Yeah I hated my BFG long Trail T/A's. The michelins are so much nicer.

I have BFG All Terain T/A's on mine and I love them. I don't know about the Trail T/A, but any time you go with a hi-way tire the wet/snow traction sucks at best. I had Goodyear HTs when I bougt last june and I hated these tires.

I got michelin Cross Terrain and they offer excellent traction out of a basically highway tire

What kind of T/A's do you have??

Are they the TA street tires or something??

I've got AT KO 31's on my 97 Ranger 4x4 and my wife's got AT KO 31's on her 98 Explorer, and neither one of us have noticed anything bad in the wet with these tires. This is in marked contrast to the Firestone's.

I'm not sure what the issue is, but whenever you drive in wet conditions, you have to adjust your driving style. Even with a limited slip, I can smoke the rears on my Ranger any time I want - but I don't. When it's wet, I take special care to accelerate more slowly (5 spd manual).

I take it your Ex doesn't have the fancy transfer case with the auto lockup?? It's difficult (though possible) to get my wife's 5 spd auto Ex to break loose in the wet. In the dry, you can get the limited slip to chirp if you get into a tight turn and punch it, but that's pretty abnormal.

Check your tread depth, maybe??

Best,
Brian

Back