To anyone dreading a plug and wire job | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

To anyone dreading a plug and wire job

llamaking122

Reaction score
City, State
Worthington, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mountaineer V8
I have a few tips use a QUALITY spark plug socket. Use a wobble wrench too I found this useful it the kind you can move the handle on the ratchet. For the one on the passenger side closest too the firewall put the socket on it first then use a 3/4" wrench too turn the socket. It took me about an hour and it was the first time I had done it on this car. Make sure too use anti seize in the plugs if you ever plan too take them out again. WALK ALL PLUGS IN WITH FINGERS TOO START THEM you don't want to take the chance of cross threading them. Make sure you tighten them all down too the last guy who worked on my car before I bought it was a idiot and the O2 sensors and plugs were just finger tight. That's where my misfires I'm guessing where coming from. Just take your time and do it one plug at a time and remember where it was routed so you don't set it on the manifold

On the plugs that are hard to reach with fingers, I always slide a 8" piece of Gas line over the plug. You get the Reach you need and the 'feel' to make sure you are not cross threading.

Back