to buy or not to buy that is the question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

to buy or not to buy that is the question

gwaker

Reaction score
City, State
HUBER HEIGHTS,OHIO
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Sport
A guy I work with just got a 1991 4x4 2-door explorer (I'm not sure which model it is but it's green) He is wanting to sell it for 600.00. Supposedly the front hubs don't work and need replaced ( he said the guy he bought it from said they were 90.00 each?) Not sure of the mileage but I think it is well over a100k. The rockers are rusted out but not sure of any other rust. If this is a good deal , Are there certain things I should be on the lookout for once I finally getto see this truck. Being a 1st year vehiclefrom what i've read on this site these babies have their fair share of problems. I am pretty handy around cars so I think I could a lot of the repaires myself. It was a one owner truck and the owner was an older man so I would think it hasnt been abused alll that much im not sure what stuff he has had fixed either would like to find out though, well thats it i guess any info at all on these would be great. Also from what I read the Explorer seems likea fun truck to have. One more thing i ssaw in the paper where a guy had a 94 or 95 for sale for 700.00 body nice but needed work which would be the better fixer upper.Another thing I thought of is that this has the 5-speed trans. andwhen it gets warmed up the throwout bearing makes some noise.

Both those are great prices. I'd need to know what's wrong with the $700 one before I could give a final decision. If all that's wrong with the '91 is blown hubs and the need for new rockers, that's a real good price. The tranny's on these things go so you may want to get the mileage and see if any work's been done to that. Automatic hubs will run around $100 a pair on eBay. Even if it needs a new tranny, a good rebuilt tranny on eBay is under $1000.

Back