Top mount of front shocks.

1996B4000

Reaction score
City, State
Heathsville VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 B4000 LE
'96 B4000, needs new shocks.

I hope the engineer who designed the top mount for the front shocks is burning in hell.

Finally had to use a grinder to cut the rod that comes from the top of the shock and goes through the mount.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did it rust in place or something? It’s a pretty straightforward mount, a bracket with a hole in it, the shock stem goes through and is cushioned by a bushing on either side, and a small nut on top. Doesn't seem badly engineered...

How many sets of shocks has it had? Around here, if it's been more than 5 years, the angle grinder is coming into the job. Even so, I didn't find my front upper mounts to be a problem. Rather every time I take the rear lower bolts off, it's a given they will either shear apart or be ground/cut off. I started coating them in silicone grease, then best guess how much more torque to compensate for that.

stud mount shocks can for sure be a PITA trying to stop the shaft from turning while loosening the nut
They often give you a little square nub to grab with a wrench, that only works sometimes
A good pair of vise grips is next, after that it is time for the grinder

stud mount shocks can for sure be a PITA trying to stop the shaft from turning while loosening the nut
They often give you a little square nub to grab with a wrench, that only works sometimes
A good pair of vise grips is next, after that it is time for the grinder
Major part of the problem is that the nut on the threaded shaft is hidden behind the upright part f the shock mount. After 30 minutes of trying to (1) hold the hex portion of the threaded shaft while (2) trying to turn a wrench on the top nut, I called on my friend Mr. Grinder and that was that. Same story on both sides. On one front shock, I managed to break the stud where the bottom of the shock mounts. That was not a problem -- cut off the stud flat with the frame member, drilled out the small piece of stud remaining in the frame, replaced with a Grade 8 bolt.

Back