Tork tech supercharger? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tork tech supercharger?

Aaron95cobrar

Reaction score
I am in the middle of installing a tork tech supercharger on my 02 Mountaineer 4.6l has any body on here performed this swap? Specs are as followed

2002 Romeo alum block
Kellogg 6 bolt forged crank
03/04 Cobra Manley rods
Probe 2618 forged dish pistons
Trick flow 44cc heads
Comp xe262bh blower cams
New trick flow timing set
Tork tech kit
Eaton m112

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am not aware of anyone here that has done the Tork Tech kit. We do have some members that have supercharged their rides, one being a KB 2.2.

Based off your mod list, you will be making very good power. The only concern I'd have is the transmission because they are only good up to the 400+ range before they start having issues.

Get some pictures and numbers up when you can!!!

lots of mustangs making good power with the 5r55. a good rebuild and some mods 2 cool it and it should be ok.

20130301151430.jpg

20130301151442.jpg

20130301151532.jpg

A few problems with the swap so far.

1.timing cover is different from the mustang to the explorer 4.6l. The tork tech kit is designed to work with the mustang's. you have to eliminate a pully that comes with the kit and cut a pully mount off the expolrer cover. then route the belt like I have in the pics.

2. The new belt route runs right in front of where the oil filter is supposed to go. get a remote mount filter kit and mount it somewhere safe.

3. Trick flow heads do not have bolt mouting holes for the explorer power steering pump. The pump on the explorer is higher up the TC than the Mustang. either make a braket,just use 2 bolts,or drill and tap the heads.

4.knock sesor bosses. The explorer block has 2 knock sensor bosses under the intake these need to be cut off and the sensors tuned out. or placed somewhere else.

5.top bolt on belt tenisioner needs to be ground down or left out.

I am sure there is more but I am not there yet lol.

If I'm not mistaken, you can move the knock sensors to the heads...

You can move the knock sensors to the back if the heads. I just did it last weekend. The left side will be closer to the middle and the right side will be closer to the fender. The wires for them are different lengths so you'll have to switch sides for them to reach.

I find myself inspired. I am looking at doing almost the same thing you are, I want to stroke to 5.0, upgrade to an 8 bolt crank, TFS heads, Injectors, and the same cams you have. I had been considering a Kenne bell or a custom front mount turbo kit, but the cost on that supercharger kit is somthing to consider when we are talking about thousands of dollars worth of savings. I was hoping to net a stable 400 - 450 at the wheels on about 6 - 9 PSI on 91+ octane pump gas. Have you done any upgrades to your fuel system other than the injectors? I have been wondering for years what the stock explorer system can support.

stealth 340 pump and thats it for the fuel system. right now I am in the middle of rebuilding the transmission.

that GS340 will hold some power... on a BAP they hold 700whp on DSMs and 4cyl turbo cars... those heads are alittle over kill i think for this build.. did you port the blower and fill silencer holes??

It will be interesting to see how well the belt will do since the rerouting causes it to only contact about 1/3 of the crank pully. When the A/C goes on there will be a lot of drag on that belt.

Back