• Register Today It's free!

Supercharger Questions

Av8tor

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Lincoln Aviator
Well i was told about this site from someone on another ford truck site, and figured i would start my first post off with a few questions for you supercharged people. First a little about my vehicle. I currently drive a 2004 Lincoln Aviator with the 32v 4.6l. While its a fairly quick SUV i want more. So what i am looking at doing is taking the eaton supercharger and everything from a 03 cobra and putting it on the aviator. The questions i had are just if anyone has any experience with this swap. The 2 things that im really curious about are how people have dealt with the front accessories and belts, and if the aftercooler is a nessecary piece or if meth/water injection would keep me safe. Ideally i want to add the aftercooler but if i cant find one i was thinking about just doing the meth injection. I may actually do both if things work out. But for now probably the biggest thing is trying to figure out the belts, does anyone know if there is a company who makes all the brackets to mount everything?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not many people here own an Aviator(if any?). From what I understand the motor is essentailly the same as the 03-04 Marauder and 03-04 Mach 1. So whatever engine mods you find for them, should work with your Aviator. Your best best would be a third cat delete with 2.5" exhaust, muffler of choice, CAI and tune. I would love to see how much faster your 4V is than my 2V. Get ahold of hensonperformance.com to see if he can hook you up with an SCT3 tuner.

I will look into the cobra eaton swap that mach 1's have done to see what's involved. Give me a day.

Ive actually already done the magnaflow catback exhaust, and a tune from VMP tunes with the xcal2 i had before i got the aviator. I did a K&N drop in but havent gotten around to modifying a cold air to work with the aviator. And since the big project is going to be the supercharger, im not going to bother doing the cold air kit. And thanks man that would be awesome, since the belts and accessories is probably gonna be the biggest challenge.

He could help you out. Has an electric supercharger:D.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2053401

From research, it seems like it will be a pain in the ass since you will need the cobra intake, timing cover and front accessories and some more little doodads. May just be easier to sell what you have picked up and get a procharger or vortech? A turbo would be fun as well.

Ive thought about a turbo but i wanted to do something different as most friends i have all have turbos. Plus as far as superchargers go ive always likes the roots style blowers instead of the centrifugal blowers. Im beginning to think i may have to involve some friends and come up with some custom brackets and pullies.

How much have you looked at the 03/04 Cobra parts, the front dress mainly? The intake manifold should be the easiest part of the swap. Rob from here has a KB Mustang kit installed on his 04 Explorer, he made it work well with little trouble. He could help a lot with some details.

I'd worry with the front dress the most, see how close the 03/04 Cobra is to yours. See what from those you can use to mount it with existing parts.

Looking at everything it all looks pretty easy with the exception of the front drive accessories. Im hoping to find alot of the cobra stuff for the front, or either modify what i have to work, or make some stuff that will do the job. Its going to be a long term project so im not too concerned if it takes a while to get the pieces together or if it takes some planning to custom make the pieces.

BTW i just wanted to give a thanks to the people on this board. Most boards ive asked this question have just said "its a waste of time" or have just not helped at all. But this board has been pretty solid so far.

This forum has a much bigger variety of members and tastes I believe. You should be able to find more people interested on a board like this. I'm glad to help because you are working on something I wish that I had time to do. Do take and post some pictures when you can, we like visual stimulation.

wonder how much modification it'd take to use the trilogy kit on the avaiator

Looked at the trilogy kit but decided not to go with it for 2 reasons.
1: Id have to flip alot of stuff around as it has the intake on the drivers side and mine is passenger
2: There is alot more pride in doing it myself, and there are alot of things im going to be customizing/reworking. So buying a premade kit doesnt make sense. This way i can choose things like injectors, throttle body,etc, and probably do it cheaper than their kit. I also want to add a few things like meth injection so i can just piece things together as i go.

Plus the best thing is ive got a pretty good group of friends who can help me figure things out. Although i dont think ill ever be able to do enough to the aviator to hang with them at the track.

I have the Trilogy kit on my Marauder, and for what it is its a rip off. Basically Trilogy made a cheap bracket to flip the alternator and hold the tensionor. The supercharger is a Magnuson and the inlet is made by Billet Flow.

I'm building a stronger engine for my Marauder and plan to take the DOHC 4.6 thats in the car now out, and do a refresh on it. Then, its going in our 02 Explorer and getting an eaton swap. I feel like I can make brackets to make the eaton work on the Explorer since the brackets should be very simular in design to the Trilogy kit. That should put me in the area of 430rwhp in the Explorer since the Marauder has long tubes and a cold air intake.

Ya the trilogy kit didn't look all that special to me. Just out of curiousity would you be able to take some good pics of the brackets and everything? It would give me an idea of how things work. As the front of the motor is the thing that's gonna take the most planning. If you can take some head on pics whenever you pull the motor that would be awesome too.

Although i dont think ill ever be able to do enough to the aviator to hang with them at the track.

Don't say that! You could make your Lincoln eat a Bugatti Veyron to 250mph if you wanted too. The question is, "Speed cost money, how fast do you want to go?" :D

Ya the trilogy kit didn't look all that special to me. Just out of curiousity would you be able to take some good pics of the brackets and everything? It would give me an idea of how things work. As the front of the motor is the thing that's gonna take the most planning. If you can take some head on pics whenever you pull the motor that would be awesome too.

I can get you some pics of a bracket that another Marauder guy made to do an eaton swap as well. You can do the swap without changing timing covers with the trilogy brackets and his brackets. I'll get some pics if its not raining in the morning. You can see everything from up top and I'll zoom in to catch the details.

Do you know if you are able to get just the brackets from trilogy? And as far as keeping up with my friends i think its more that i dont think i could manage the cost of doing it. The 2 friends im thinking of both run turbo 6.0L gm's and one is shooting for 8's in the 1/4, the other is already in the high 9's, and both have had to put parachutes on. So its more that i cant afford to keep up lol.

Do you know if you are able to get just the brackets from trilogy? And as far as keeping up with my friends i think its more that i dont think i could manage the cost of doing it. The 2 friends im thinking of both run turbo 6.0L gm's and one is shooting for 8's in the 1/4, the other is already in the high 9's, and both have had to put parachutes on. So its more that i cant afford to keep up lol.

No, they won't sell just the brackets. I'll get some pics of my buddy's bracket off the Marauder site and post them here. He was talking about getting them produced in the area of $600 for the set.

Ya i think i saw a post from him, but he said something about having to get 10 people to order a set for them to get made. And it was kinda hard to see too much in the pics.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ya i think i saw a post from him, but he said something about having to get 10 people to order a set for them to get made. And it was kinda hard to see too much in the pics.

I just saw your post over there. Zack is pretty cool, and if you tell him you know me then he will take it easy on you. He might have the deminsions of the bracket laying around somewhere.

Back